Prologue

With a racing heart, a petite young woman with long dark hair hid behind a small shack before pulling her dress against her. Her eyes were shut hard before she could hear the footsteps of the one stalking her and she took off towards the woods. Attaining scratches and several bruises, she continued to run in fear of being caught-but alas, she was in the arms of her stalker. Turning back, she pushed him away before they both gave into a loud set of laughs.

"You have learned the greatest thing about running-"

"And that is?" She teased, resting her hands on her hips as she tried to regain a normal pulse and slow breath.

"Sometimes it is better to hide then run and tire yourself-"

Just as the wise point was spoken, a loud crack of thunder was heard before the screaming of an elderly woman's voice echoed through the field.

"Victor does not have to wash for a week!" The man said as he darted off, much faster than the girl before she fell and began massaging her ankle. He turned back, seeing her in pain and the sky's dark contents before moving back towards her. Slowly, he placed her leg on his lap before going to remove her shoe before suddenly being knocked on his back by the girl.

"You forget the rule about racing, Dawson..."

"And what rule is this?" He asked as she straddled him, their gazes interlocked as her hands held his wrists above his head.

"Never fall for a damsel." She teased before collecting her shoes in her hands and racing for the cottage just as the rain began, causing them both to get a medium amount of sodden before taking refuge in the house.

Dawson shot her a glare before she hid a chuckle as the elderly woman moved towards them both.

"I was bound to think you two were collected by the winds, I would be left to eat this all on my own." She said as she moved towards the pot over the fire before returning with two bowls. "Do you two never grow tired of chasing one another?"

Dawson's gaze jumped to her as he gave a sweet smirk before speaking, "Never." Although a single word, it acted as a typhoon of meaning to them both. Although, for different reasons.

"Before long," the woman continued as she sat on the third seat and looked to the young girl who was staring longingly into her stew. "You will be the wife of Nicholas Auvere...it is difficult to think of my little sprout being wed so quickly."

"I cannot wait, grandmother..." She spoke with a great amount of excitement as her eyes lit brightly. Dawson directed his attention towards his food, trying to allow the pain to pass before looking back up towards her. "I am so very anxious to be someone's wife. To clean and cook...and be loved-"

Suddenly Dawson rose, but quickly offered a smile to assure nothing was wrong. Over the course of the last five years, Dawson perfected the hidden smile. While underneath, he was dying with jealousy and anger.

"Where are you off to?" The elderly woman asked as she leaned closer to him, glaring in his direction.

"I should begin washing...-"

"Nonsense...the storm will make you sick. It can be postponed until it has passed."

"Eleana..." He looked with a kind gaze. "I thank you for your care, but it cannot wait. Holly has enough clothes for the entire village and I must begin before I am too old to move."

Holly glared before Eleana smiled and allowed him to disappear as they enjoyed their supper. The bowls steamed as they both ate all of the contents before placing their bowls in a pile near a bucket of water for later cleaning.