Chapter Ten

For eight days, Holly tried to occupy herself with thoughts of being in Dawson's arms again. To feel his lips against her skin and his grip on her waist. She replayed the moments with him in her mind like reruns until it drove her to tears. In her late hours, she thought the worst and pulled her pillow tight before falling asleep and dreaming sweetly. But she would awake and go to the stalls and sit in his loft where she would nosily go through his belongings, finding several shirts, journals with drawings-one of her, and a wrapped gift in the bottom of his chest. Tempted for so many days, she eventually broke down and tore it to smithereens to reveal a set of stockings. Silky white ones with red ribbons to tie down. Pulling them to her chest, she then placed them on her legs before feeling as though he was with her.

About midday of the eighth day, she heard the sound of hooves arriving on the land and anxiously tore herself away from the stables to find Nicholas accompanied by two of his men. But Dawson was nowhere in sight. She hesitated for a moment before fearing the worst.

"Where is Dawson?" She asked, trembling at the thought of his impending fate. "Where?" Tears filled her eyes as Nicholas moved from his horse as servants took it from his grasp.

"He is fine..."

"Then where is he? Please do not torture me...he is all I have left of family." She spoke in truth as Nicholas let out a sigh before placing his hand on her shoulder.

"He was captured by them...one of my own men turned against me."

"They will kill him..." Covering her face, she fell into tears before falling against the gate.

"They desire a truce. Half of our metal for his release."

"Give it-"

"That gives them an upper hand on ANY war or battle...we would be breaking alliances...harming what we've worked for. I cannot give that up for one soldier...especially one who offered his life."

She suddenly felt guilty, knowing he never would have if she would have been honest with her feelings to begin with.

"Please...do what you must to get him back..."

"I know he means a lot to you...and you mean everything to me...Perhaps there is something else we can give them in return...other then our livelihood."

She nodded as he moved along with his soldiers and she was left to wait and wallow in her sadness. Realizing in that moment, the stockings may be the only thing she had of him.

Another week had passed as she pushed for Nicholas to cater a meeting with the rivals, but he refused-expressing how that made them appear desperate and weak. Growing angry and impatient, she instructed Amelia to cover for her as she was going to save him on her own. Wearing a pair of brown leather pants and a corset top a long with a long jacket, she rode across the border and into enemy territory.

Upon arriving, she was immediately intimidated. The guards appeared well equip and suspicious of her as she removed herself from the horse and moved to the palace gate. Entering, she found a deep crimson interior with small details of gold before a black carpet laid at her feet. Moving forward, she saw a very burly man sitting at a long table along with six other people who all shared the same eyes and noses.

"We have a visitor! Why don't you introduce yourself young lady?"

"I am Holly Miller-"

"Ah...Nicholas's wife...I am surprised you are here...I suspect everything with the exchange went well."

"The exchange?"

"His best knight for a healthy sum..."

"Of course...I came here on his behalf...to thank you, again."

"Well if I would have expected you, I would have set you a place...please join us for dinner."

"I cannot. I...I am also here to give the knight his last rite..."

"Of course...I can show you were he is..."

"Thank you. It is very appreciated."

As they walked through the castle, the man looked towards her and glared in suspicion. "It is quite odd that a noble's wife would give a knight a last rite..."

"My husband does not trust others...you can understand."

"Indeed, say no more. Here he is, the bastard traitor." He shook his head. "I will return in a few moments."

"Thank you."

When Dawson saw her, he lingered behind the bars until the man left and he lept towards her. Clinging to the bars, he reached for her and squeezed her hand hard as tears filled deep in her eyes.

"I am so sorry..."

"He traded me...I never would have left if that would have meant leaving you..I promised you-"

"This is not your fault. I promise that I will get you back."

"Why are you here? It is too dangerous for you."

"I am not leaving you in this position." She saw more lash marks on his body before also seeing bruises on his skin.

"You must go, if Nicholas discovers you were here..."

"He intends to bring you home, he promises me it, I just had to see for myself."

"You trust his promises?"

"He swore on his own life. I believe his business tactics...not his methods. You will come home."

"Promise me you will not come back-"

"Dawson-"

"Promise me, Holly. I will come home to you, but you must not return."

"Alright."

"I miss you." He said in a low voice as he reached out for her and they both leaned their foreheads on the bars. "I cannot cease my thoughts of you being with me-I swear I have imagined you here before...But I can tell you are real now..."

"I do not think I can leave you...I cannot stand the feeling of you gone."

"I am not gone...I will be home soon. I promise."

She nodded before they shared a kiss and the door came open to reveal the ruler of the castle with a glare.

"Are you 'bout finished?"

"Just. Thank you." She turned back to him. "You will be called home by the almighty." She placed her cross rosary towards Dawson before leaving alone and riding back home. Mortified by what she had seen, she pushed Nicholas harder than ever to save Dawson.