Chapter Fifteen

Morning broke with a harsh light as Holly searched her vicinity to find herself alone in the cave. Fearing the worst, she jolted up as she wrapped her dress around her for cover before hearing something in the distance. As her eyes adjusted to the light of dawn, she peered across the beach to find Dawson completely bare with the water cleansing his body. For a moment, she wrapped her arms around her knees that were placed up against her chest as she watched him. After several minutes, he turned back to see her staring before motioning her to move towards him. She thought of what Eleana would say but threw away the thought as she wanted to be in the moment with the man she loved.

Slowly, she tossed away her cover and ran towards the water as Dawson swept her in his arms and moved further into the ocean to cover her from anyone who may pass. Unlike their moments before, they did not speak as much as two words as their lips were entangled. Desiring her too much to bare it, he pulled her neck back and kissed her skin as he claimed how desperately he wanted her-and how he always had. Giving a smirk, she gave him a sweet peck before he brought her further up the beach to lay upon the sand.

"We should be returning soon-"

"What if we did not go back?"

He placed his pants back upon his damp legs and waist before running his fingers through his hair before helping her into her corset.

"You do understand how that question is unfair..."

"How so? If we were to take these horses and ride until there is no more land...we could live in caves...wake up each morning in each other's arms...-"

"And what of those sweet pastries in the morning or the warm sheets-"

"I have you to keep me warm...and those pastries are actually becoming quite faded to me."

"And what of your perfumes and dresses?"

"I will only need a few...if we were to ever part from one another...and they would not have to be grand-"

"I admire the thirst for adventure...but I fear you would not last two weeks without hot baths and massages."

She turned quick as he finished the final lace. Standing in only a slip as the water rushed to their ankles, he looked at her with great seriousness.

"I cannot bare the thought of returning to a place so deprived of love...last night...even if it would have been nothing but conversation until dawn as it used to be...it was and will always be the best night of my life..."

"I fear if I were to steal you away from him that he would never stop until he had you as his again."

"But what do we become when we return? Lovers?"

"I do not mind the sound of it." He teased her as he kissed her neck. Falling into his seduction for a moment, she then pulled away and placed her hand upon his chest.

"I do not believe I could act as if things were still the same between us." Before continuing her thought, she took his hand and placed it upon her heart. "I cannot erase the feeling of your hands on my skin, if we leave now, we can be half way to Hemlock before anyone would notice..."

"I will not put you in danger. I will find a way for us to be together...but you mustn't let him know of our relations...it is safest that way..." Placing his hand on her cheek, he kissed her sweetly. "We should leave..."

"Can we not stay just one more moment?"

"Unfortunately, there will never be a capable amount of moments with you...but if I allow one, I will fall into not wanting to return."

"I am beginning to believe that you desire to return..."

"Only so I can claim you while being right under his nose." He said as he pulled her against him quickly. Placing his hand just under her breasts, she could feel his desire against her as she let out a teasing groan.

"You must catch me first." She said just as she slid from his grasp and jumped upon her horse and road towards Nicholas's residence.

Upon arriving, they found several guards lined near the stables. Servants were then set behind them, diagonal so they could see the man of note pacing the length of the group. Upon seeing Dawson and Holly arrive on horseback, he demanded the horses be taken for rest before requesting time alone with his wife. The phrase to her always sounded so cold when he spoke it aloud-as if claiming her as property. But her caring gaze from Dawson allowed her the warm comfort she desperately desired.

Placing her into their chambers, he shut the door quickly behind himself before pulling her close for a tight embrace. When he released her, she looked at him with confusion before he took a seat at her vanity-turned to her.

"I am begging your forgiveness..."

"Whatever for?"

"For any deception or pain I have caused you...I adore you above any and every other...I wish for us to begin anew...which is why I am gifting you with they honeymoon we never had..."

Her eyes went wide.

"I would rather prefer to stay here..."

"I know you do not desire me...but I know I can show you the good things about me-the things you saw that made you agree to marry me to begin with."

"I am guessing there is nothing that will change your mind?"

"I want us to begin anew, as I said before. I want us to have the thoughts and feelings of only ourselves-no suspicious servants or siblings to break us apart. I desire us to genuinely get to know one another."

"Can we not do that here?"

"I do not trust easily or often...but I can see a flicker of honesty in you. I can see you have a good heart, and I want to see it without the affliction of others and their opinions...can you allow me that?"

For a long period of time, she hesitated. Moving to the window, her gaze came upon Dawson who was in view of her as he slaved in the stables. For a moment, their eyes matched as he saw the sadness in her gaze. His expression immediately changed before hers turned to horror upon feeling arms behind her.

"I want us to be happy, Holly. You deserve it more than anyone."

And for a moment, she realized that she was looking at her happiness. The man who sacrificed everything to be there for her-to protect her. She could still feel his breath on her neck from their night of passion-but there was something pulling her to accept her husband's offer. Turning towards Nicholas, she let out a deep exhale.

"If you desire me to be happy, you would allow me to live the life I desire-not what you instruct or expect of me."

"I will change my orders of you...but we will be leaving within moments...I have everything you will need for the journey..."

"Can I not speak to Dawson?"

His mouth curved to a frown. "I believe you have shared enough intimate bonds with him for the last day. I am only desiring the chance to get to know you as we both deserve." Anger was etched deep in his tone as she nodded-realizing she had no choice. Asking if she could change, she quickly sat at her desk and wrote a small letter before asking Amelia to give it to Dawson upon her departure-giving her one final chance to prove she was true with the desire for redemption.

Sitting inside the carriage, her gaze froze on the land before seeing Dawson receive the letter. Holly knew she only had one thing to do-even though it broke her heart to do it.