Chapter Eleven

"You cannot leave him to rot there! I beg you, at least give him a chance!"

"If I show any weakness to THAT MAN, he will take everything my family and I have slaved generations to obtain. You can never understand that...so do not attempt to."

"I understand that you know the meaning of family. You have shown me how you care for yours, and me. I beg that you save him-no matter the cost..."

"You give me one night. Without pulling away, and he will be returned..."

Swallowing hard, she nodded. "Alright."

The late hours of the night occurred as she looked out her window, desperate for a sign. A large portion of her was tempted to jump the four stories and make a run for it, but just as she felt she could, the door came open and her heart stopped. Seeing Nicholas behind her, he offered a kind smile before extending his hand.

With the shinning of the lantern, he moved directly to the bed before pulling her skirt from her waist and placing himself between her legs. As he had done before, he roughly began, forcing her to groan from pain-that he mistook for pleasure. Forcing herself not to cry, she thought of Dawson and how it was for him. Within seconds, the pain ceased and he fell with a deep heave before wrapping his arm around her.

"I have written to Lord Bermouth this afternoon, he responded quickly, allowing Dawson passage back in the late hours of tomorrow."

"Thank you." She said in a confident tone as he she took comfort in knowing she would see him again.

Waking up the next morning, she could hear the sound of hooves outside her window and quickly wrapped herself in a shawl before racing down the stairs to find Dawson being wheeled into the vicinity.

"As requested..." A knight spoke as he rode off, leaving Dawson groaning and coughing in the back of the cart. With tears stinging her eyes, Holly moved quickly towards him before seeing his entire torso was cut up by lash marks, stab marks, and scratches. Her gaze moved to Nicholas were she looked at him with pure hatred.

"Someone get him to the infirmary. Now!" She demanded as several servants carried him to a door near the servant's quarters as she moved to follow them. Her wrist was caught by Nicholas as he moved his lips towards her ear.

"I suggest you leave him be...having a woman hover makes the healing process stretch out longer-"

"You can order me into your bed, to sit next to you at the dinner table, and pretend that I love you, but you will NOT tell me where to be when it comes to Dawson. He is all the family I have left." With determination, she moved towards the infirmary before sitting beside Dawson. Her finger traced his skin, avoiding his wounds as he was mostly bandaged as tears poured down her cheeks.

"You are the most stubborn man that I know...do not leave me..." She begged. "I have been in this position more times than I can count with you...please...do not force me to do it again..."

Throughout the days of his recovery, Amelia constantly checked up on them both, giving Holly a pillow for her head or suggesting she eat so she can stay healthy as well. The thought of being happy or healthy without Dawson appeared silly, but she complied-knowing it was wise. They would also sit and discuss many things from Nicholas's past wives to her life before working and living on his land. Holly discovered Amelia enjoys painting and after her father's death was forced to care for her younger siblings-all six of them. The money she makes working goes directly to them, while they are living with her aunt who is unable to work-but able to watch the children.

For almost a month, Amelia and Holly became closer and closer. But they were unaware of how catastrophic this could be.