Chapter Forty Seven

"Not that I am rushing our impending death...but should we have not been hung by now?"

"I suppose it is odd..." Nicholas said as he rose from the cot and moved towards the bars. Quickly around this time, the sound of clinging armor was heard as they moved back.

"Perhaps I should have kept the thoughts to myself."

"You are free to go."

Nicholas and Dawson looked to one another before Dawson glared. "Is this a cruel joke of some kind?"

"No. The King is dead."

Nicholas smirked as Dawson looked on in horror.

Being released from his cell, Dawson wasted no time in finding Holly. Looking in each room he could, he eventually found her in the library, pacing back and forth, biting the ends of her nails. Upon seeing him, she wrapped her arms around his neck as he swung her around.

"I never thought I would see you again." She said as tears filled her eyes.

"Or I, you." He set her down as she gave him a large smile-one that quickly faded to his next set of words. "You killed him...did you not?"

"I had to...he was going to take you from me."

"Nicholas gave you the idea..."

She nodded. 

"How are you with it? Having such a thing on your conscience."

"That man has caused more pain than you know. He took our child away, Dawson-"

"You spoke of being unsure."

"I was not with Nicholas in enough time to be with child. I was with you when I discovered. And that man-that demon took that innocent baby." She ceased as tears swelled in her eyes.

"My love,m you are not the kind that can handle such a horror on your heart. It is too kind...too soft."

"I would have believed so too...if I was not so bruised by him. He would have taken everything if he would have killed you. I could not endure it."

"You no longer have to." He paused. "What does this mean for the kingdom? Unless he has another brother..."

"They spoke to me about it...they said I must marry within a month or they will choose another successor."

"Who do you plan on choosing?"

"There is someone in specific that I have had feelings for my entire life...I am afraid I am unsure of his feelings of me though..." She gave a dramatic read of an expression before giving in a side eye. He swept her in his grasp, nearly knocking her from her feet.

"I can promise you that he adores you as much as you adore him."

"I love with with all I am."

"Then let us finally be married...I beg of you." He went down on two knees before her as she gave a wide smile.

"I suppose, since you begged."

"Shall I proclaim it louder? For the giants in the mountains to hear? And the sirens in the ocean? I will scream it as loud as you desire, so long as you agree."

"Yes. I will marry you. A million times."

****

ONE WEEK LATER

Standing in the mirror, Holly gleamed as Nicholas came in behind her with her flowers in his hands.

"You look radiant."

"Thank you."

"I am terribly sorry for being unable to be kind when I should have..."

"It has been placed behind us...I assure you. I see you as a trusted ally now...just do not let Dawson see otherwise or he will certainly exile you."

"I promise to prove myself worthy of the title he has given me."

She smiled as he held out her flowers. Hearing the music echo down the halls, he held his hand out to walk her down to the altar. Making her way down, the servants in the halls bowed to her. For a moment, she could not imagine this being done the rest of her life but as she turned the corner and saw Dawson, nothing else mattered. A large smile came to he face as she stood across from him, finally being able to be wed to him.

"You are so beautiful." He whispered to her as she smiled wide. Turning to the priest, they were then married in the eyes of God, the law, and at Nicholas. The servants spied around the corners as they were wed in a small ceremony.

Pushing her against the door of their bed chambers, Dawson pulled her to him before kicking the door closed. Removing her dress, he placed his hands carefully on her shoulders, kissing the back of her neck as she turned and pulled him into a deep kiss. Wasting no time, the walked back towards the bed and fell into each other's arms. Closing her eyes, she felt his heavenly kisses trace up and down her body until almost every inch was touched. When moving back to her lips, he gently parted her legs and placed himself between her. Moaning to the feeling of familiar pleasure, they moved rhythmically together-in perfect synchronicity.

Jolting forward with a gasp as Dawson was fast asleep, Holly moved to the balcony, with sweat sporadically on her skin.

"When will the nightmares end?" She asked herself as she looked down on her hands and recalled seeing the blood there. Dawson was right, she was not the type to be able to handle such guilt. It was slowly causing her to deteriorate.