Chapter Thirty Five

"This is where we met?"

Dawson nodded as the memories flooded in his mind, playing on a loop. He watched her as she walked down the poverty-stricken streets with a look of sadness behind her eyes. Tracing her finger on the exterior of the homes, she glared hard as if getting pain from it all. She turned back to him with tears in her eyes.

"Eleana died here...didn't she?"

He nodded. "She told me to go after you...to not let you slip away. She knew we were made for one another-while I was petrified to risk losing you..."

"What made you lose that fear?"

"I didn't...I asked you to leave with me and you told me you could not. I understand now that you could not fathom the after effect...but now I believe God is cruel..."

"Why would you say such a thing?"

"You and I have been destined, star-crossed even...but just when we find happiness, it's torn away again." he took her hands in his as tears filled his eyes. "I am starting to believe that perhaps your love for me was never supposed to last."

She placed her hand on his cheek as he closed his eyes. "Dawson, I want to give you that."

"But you no longer feel that-"

"That is not true..."

"You do feel for me?"

She nodded. "When I woke up in that bed, I knew there was something else for me-almost like being misplaced in the world...but I had dreams of blurred faces and distorted voices. When I met you again...I realized it was you in my dreams...and they weren't dreams...they were memories."

"Do you remember?"

"I am not sure what part of it is memory and my own imagination..but I regain fragments of what I probably should have forgotten...I remember seeing this house burning...the smoke lingering as we just missed who did it. You tried to convince me it was Nicholas...but I did not believe you..." Tears filled her eyes. "I am so confused, Dawson. To wake up one day and feel wrong...I feel wrong..."

He pulled her into him as she cried against his chest.

"Why don't we discuss the happier things? Do you know why I fell in love with you?"

She shook her head. "Perhaps I was the only girl around at the time."

"No. It is because you are the most beautiful woman that I have ever laid my eyes on." He continued as he kept both palms pressed against her cheeks. "I fell for you because of the way you cared painfully for others...how you put yourself aside-even for those who hurt you. How you pulled me back to the right path when all I wanted to do was run from it. I never thought I would get the chance to see you again. And the only thing I could think about was how badly I wanted to tell you how I felt, to tell you I love you-and no matter what happens, that will never change."

Just before their lips touched, the sound of knight's horses were heard.

"Dammit!" Dawson pulled her around the corner and hid her from the cavalry. Keeping her shielded in a dark corner, he watched the men closely as they slowly made their way towards them.

"What do we do?" She whispered as she began to tremble near him.

"Run. The woods are about a quarter of a league. Don't look back...just run." With a gentle push, she booked it towards the line of the woods while the men hollered to one another of her location. Pushing her way past hanging branches and fallen logs, she eventually rested upon a distant tree, clutching her chest. Just as she caught her breath, a hand pulled her forward and hid towards a low valley, under a makeshift bridge-made fro another fallen log. Hearing the hooves move around them and the men becoming angry in missing them, they eventually retreated-leaving Dawson and Holly to rest from their near capture.

As night began to fall, they decided it had been time to build a fire. Dawson collected the wood as Holly created the resting places for them. Using a soft moss, she stuffed it underneath large leaves, that created a fluffy-type mattress. The pillows were then made by collected sticks that were wrapped in animal skin. The cover they used was that of a half hallowed tree, converted into a roof-type setting over both beds.

"You never cease to amaze me..." He commented as the spark of the fire lit.

"We need to find shelter better than this if we are to be...wanted by the guards..."

"For now, it will do. You should rest-you have been through quite a lot."

He turned to the fire as she placed her hand upon his shoulder. "I am not tired.." Extending her hand close to him, he accepted it as she pulled him towards her. "Dawson...I have been overcome with this feeling...a weight actually...a task that I have to do..."

"Whatever it is...I will help..."

She smirked. "Yes...but...I am afraid you will not understand why I do it and will perhaps judge me."

"Never." He continued as he saw her nervousness. "Whatever the task is...I will-"

Suddenly her lips were pressed against his. When she pulled back, he slowly opened his eyes.

"I...uh...Wha....um...huh?"

"I have wanted to kiss you since you saved me...since you gifted me the star bug...I hope you do not believe me to be...a simple girl with no expectations of herself..."

"I have wished for you to show my affection since I saw you were alive...Whatever you wish of me...I will do it."

"Be patient with me. I am feeling pieces of myself remember...but I beg that you do not leave even I never recall the important moments."

He nodded. "Love is not conditional. I did not choose to fall in love with you, but I promise to never leave. You will ALWAYS have my heart, Holly. I will wait until infinity and even then, I will linger yet...I am always yours. Always." She pulled him into a deeper kiss as he moved his hands to her back. Holding her for a deep hug, the kiss continued as the roaring fire crackled beside them.