Chapter Three

Holly grew desperate to see Dawson as this was only allowed through small moments of him bringing food or cleaning her sheets-but they were not allowed to talk when she was around her husband. For the first time in a week, she was able to sneak away as a cousin was visiting and he was rather preoccupied then to worry about her. By midday, she was able to sneak away-even from the guards, before hiding away to the stables. When he saw her, he immediately dropped his bucket before picking her up and swinging her in his arms.

"I was growing worried he had locked you away in a tower." He teased-referencing a fairy tale before his gaze then grew worried. "Are you going to lie again and speak of that scar being something of your own making?"

"It was...I broke a bottle of wine in the cellar...it cut me."

"You cannot lie to me, Holly." He said with a determined gaze before leaning towards her. Seeing his peaked interest, she moved away before changing the subject.

"Is it as awful as you expected?"

"It is quite a lot to do...but does keep me busy. Back at home, I had too much time to think...."

"What did you think of? I hope not of leaving me..."

"Of course not. You need me to survive." He teased as he walked to a trough before taking water from it and using it to scrub the floors of the horse stalls, as the hay was already removed.

"Will you keep it a secret from me?"

"It is my thoughts, you do not need to know them."

"Then shall you never know mine then? Never know my dreams? Even if they are of you?" His gaze shot up. Overly intrigued, he removed himself from his chore before looking back towards her.

"Would you be so cruel as to not tell me?"

She nodded. "It is only fair."

Quickly, he moved her towards the water before threatening to throw her into the water. "NO!" She screamed before grabbing her mouth, realizing it would have drawn a great amount of attention. Lingering quietly, she tried to break free, but found a weak point in his wrist and fell in the water below as his mouth came open in shock. They both began laughing before he went to help her out and she then pulled him in. He landed hard on top of her as his long hair fell before his eyes, only a handful of inches from her.

It was the perfect display of a first kiss, the close proximity, the undertone of desire-but alas, Dawson pulled himself from her and then assisted her.

"How will I explain this to Nicholas?"

"Tell him you attempted to swim to Clearwater to get away from him." He smirked before she gently pushed him.

"He is worried about my relationship with you...he believes we are too close..."

"Perhaps we are...but that will not stop me from protecting you."

"I do not need your protection..."

"Is that not why you called me here? To watch over you?"

"I simply did not want to be alone. I desired a familiar face..."

"Then if I were to leave..."

Her expression changed from content to horrified at his comment.

"And you ask me to believe you..." He shook his head.

"You are an utter tease, Dawson!"

"I am not the one wearing a soaked gown." His gaze moved slightly down to her sodden dress as she covered herself, realizing how it must be see-through. Quickly, she spoke under her breath before hiding back towards her room and changing swiftly enough to not be seen. Just as the last string was tightened, the door came open and Nicholas walked in with a glare towards her.

"Were you not wearing a different dress?"

"It got torn-"

"No matter...I am off to Brilledge for a few days...when I return, I expect you to have mastered your duties as my wife." His gaze expressed his true comment, (the full duties of a wife; intercourse). The thought horrified her, but she just remained quiet.

"When are you to return?"

"By two weeks at the earliest." He said frankly as he turned to his guard. "I am placing an amount of trust in you that you do not deserve but are being given. You will not want to allow me to discover any deception as I will have you watched."

She nodded as she attempted to give him a kiss on the cheek to show her acceptance of his wishes, but instead, he turned from her and she was left alone. Her heart began to lighten as she could feel a smile creeping over her face. For the first time since this marriage, she was independent.

She spent her time in the library, in the gardens, and as much time with Dawson as she could as they spoke about their memories growing up together. But then she would return to her room and dress for the night before watching Dawson slave away in the stables. One night, she caught him bathing in the lake as she could not tear her eyes from him. He intrigued her, everything from how his body moved to the way it looked in general. But she reminded herself of Nicholas's threats and withdrew herself from the thoughts of Dawson-in fear of him losing his life because of her.