"I can't!"

Alice's chest heaved as she broke down into tears. Tom turned to face Alice and ran his hand over her cheek, trying to soothe her.

"Alice, listen to me," Tom whispered calmly. "You are strong and you can do this. You've gone through a lot and I know you can do this. You just have to believe it yourself. Know that you are strong and that you are fully capable of bringing life into this world."

Alice furrowed her brow as she glanced over at Tom, sniffling.

"I am?"
"Yes, you are, my love. You can bring life into this world. You can do it."

Alice smiled weakly and as soon as she felt her next contraction, she turned her head forward and pushed with all her might, gripping onto Tom's hand. He pressed kisses to her temple and cheek, whispering words of encouragement. Shortly after, the doctor smiled brightly as she glanced up at Alice.

"Alice, look down here."

Alice did as the doctor said and her eyes widened in disbelief. Tom glanced down and the two were at a loss for words seeing their baby's head and chest as the doctor maneuvered the baby out. Tom placed his hand against his mouth as he broke down into tears. Alice stared down at the baby in shock as the doctor lifted him up in the air for them both to see. The baby began squirming around and crying on the top of his lungs. Alice laid back against the bed as a nurse laid a towel over her chest. She was completely taken aback as the doctor laid the baby on Alice's chest. Her hands shook as she reached out to him, hearing him crying so loudly. As she gazed down at him, watching him get cleaned off by the nurse, Alice couldn't believe he was alive and well. She cradled his head to her chest and immediately broke down, being able to feel him against her skin. Upon touching him for the first time, Alice wrapped her arms around him and began hushing him.

"Hi, baby. Oh, it's okay. I got you. Mommy's got you." Alice spoke through her tears.

The outside world became oblivious to Alice as she ran her hand up and down the baby's back, doing her best to soothe him. She hadn't noticed Tom cutting the umbilical cord or his own tears of joy seeing his son for the first time. To her, there was no one else in the world but her and her son.

"I love you, little guy. Mommy loves you so much. Don't forget that."

The baby boy's cries weakened as he calmed down in Alice's arms. She had done it. She had given this baby life and she felt so powerful, holding him against her chest. As she looked down at him, she wondered what it could have been like if she had given birth to their first child. What it would have been like to have held them and hear them cry for the first time. But, holding her son, she realized that he probably wouldn't be here at this moment in time if they had their first child. He was alive and existing. He had been meant to be.

Alice wept silently as the nurse took the boy to get measured and checked up on. When he was gone, she finally glanced up at Tom.

Looking down at her, Tom sniffled, wiping down his cheeks as he smiled brightly.

"He's here." His voice shook.

In that moment, Tom felt every sense of guilt or pressure be lifted from his shoulders seeing the huge smile on Alice's face. Her glow and radiant aura had returned and he felt that they could finally move on. Alice moved to the side of the bed as Tom laid himself down next to her, being cautious of the wires wrapped around her. The two then held one another as they cried, kissing several times.

"You did it. You were so good. I'm so proud of you." Tom mumbled against her lips.

"I love you, Tom. I haven't said it enough." Alice replied.