Chapter Two

Moments later, the doctor returned with the printed images of the sonogram and a prescription for her prenatal vitamins.

Back in their apartment, Alice quickly cut off one of the photos and placed it in the frame by the front door. She placed it in the bottom right corner of the collage and the two stood in the hallway, admiring it. Tom had his arm wrapped around her waist as she rested her head against his shoulder.

"I think it's a girl." Alice said.

"A girl? Isn't it too early to tell?"
"Yeah, but I think it's a girl."

"Well, what would you name it if it's a girl?" Tom asked.

"... Phoebe."

Tom glanced down at Alice as he tried to fight against the smile forming on his face.

"I like that. I like that a lot." Tom whispered.

"I knew you would. Phoebe brought us together." Alice replied.

"We'll make it work."

"We will."

The two kissed sweetly as they wrapped their arms around one another. Alice squealed as Tom lifted her into his arms. She wrapped her legs around his waist as he walked towards the bedroom.

"What's gotten into you?" She giggled.

"I don't know. I'm just so utterly happy at the moment."

Alice giggled as she rested her head against his shoulder, kissing the curve of his neck as they entered their bedroom.

Soon, Tom was beginning rehearsals for his production at the college. They were doing Macbeth and Tom was interested in having a dance that the witches perform in the beginning of the play. Since Alice was performing in the cabaret show and wouldn't have any prior plans on choreographing until May, he thought Alice would be the perfect person to bring in.

On one of Alice's days off, Tom returned from rehearsals to find her lounging on the sofa with the T.V. on, writing in a journal. Tom entered the living room and stood behind her, placing his hands on her shoulders, kneading into them.

"How was rehearsal today?"

"Better. I did get an idea during the rehearsal."

"Oh, no. What are you thinking of doing for Macbeth?" Alice chuckled, moving her head back to look up at him.

"I'm thinking of incorporating a dance and I wanted to see-"

"You want me to choreograph, don't you?"

Tom chuckled as he stepped back from the sofa and walked around it to sit down next to Alice.

"Only if you want to."

Alice took a deep breath, thinking for a moment before she looked back at Tom.

"I would love to."

"Thank you, Alice. You're a lifesaver."

Tom then glanced down at her journal and furrowed his brow.

"What are you writing about?" He inquired.

"I don't know really. One day I just started writing about how I was feeling and the pregnancy. Then I started writing to the baby about what I was going through and thought it seemed like a stress reliever. Plus, it made me think that once our kid's old enough, they can read it. It's kind of like an ongoing letter to them."

Tom beamed with pride as he leaned forward and kissed her cheek.

"That sounds amazing, Alice."