Chapter Fifteen

Daniel woke up the following morning and opened his door. He walked into the bathroom and grabbed a small stool before entering Emma's bedroom that was across the hall from him. Once inside her room, he placed the stool beside her crib and stepped up onto it. He gripped the edge of the crib as he peered in to find Emma rousing from her sleep. She rubbed her eyes as she stretched and Daniel giggled as he poked her belly. Emma groaned as she swatted at Daniel's hand. As she stood up in the crib, she walked over to the edge and Daniel took her in his arms. He helped her out of the crib and set her down on the stool next to him.

With her blanket in hand, Emma and Daniel exited the bedroom and planned on turning down the hall to wake up Alice and Tom, but some sound from the living room caught their attention. Daniel took Emma's hand in his and put his finger over his mouth. Emma did the same as him before they slowly walked down the hall. Emma quietly giggled to herself as they walked up behind the couch.

George blinked his eyes open as he woke up, grimacing slightly. As he went to stretch, he felt a weight on his legs and furrowed his brow, tilting his head down. There, he saw Daniel sitting on top of his shins. In the corner of his eye, he spotted Emma peeking over the cushions at him. George chuckled as he sat up on the couch and directed his attention towards Emma.

"Do you need some help getting up here?"

Emma nodded her head and George reached out to her, lifting her up onto the couch. He moved slightly to the side to let Emma sit beside him as Daniel remained sitting on his legs, staring at him.

"Who are you?" Daniel asked.

"I'm George."

"Why are you on our couch?"
"I was sleeping here." George smirked.

"Why?"
"Because I was tired."

"Do you have a couch at your home?" Daniel furrowed his brow.

George burst out into laughter seeing the serious face that Daniel was pulling.

"I do but your mommy said I could sleep here." George replied.

Emma brought the blanket up to her face, covering her nose and mouth. She then raised it over her eyes before bringing it back down. George flashed the two a smile as he crossed his arms over his chest.

"If she said it's okay, it's okay." Daniel copied George, folding his arms over his chest.

"Really?" George raised his brow.

"Mommy knows best!" Emma proclaimed, lowering her blanket.

"Oh, I'm sure she does."

Emma then placed her blanket over George. He smiled at her as she patted it down on his chest.

"Thank you."

Emma nodded her head as George smoothed his hand over the blanket.

"Ooo, it's very soft! No wonder you keep it close to you." George remarked.

"It was mine first!" Daniel protested.

"Ah, a hand-me-down. You know, sometimes I'd give my sister old shirts of mine. But those would be hand-me-ups because she's older than me."

Daniel and Emma laughed lightly, letting George know they were letting their guard down around him.

Tom had woken up and groaned as he stretched, being mindful of Alice's sleeping form as she laid against him. He gazed down at her as he ran his hand up and down her back. He then pressed a kiss to the top of her head as he felt her slowly begin to wake. Tom chuckled as he felt her tighten her grip around him. She blinked her eyes open and smiled lazily as she glanced up at Tom.