Chapter Thirty-Eight

Tom broke out of his trance and rushed to Alice's side and knelt down in front of her, taking her hands in his. Alice whimpered as Tom took her panties in hand.

"Alice, look at me." He spoke softly.

"I can't lose her. I can't lose her again."

"Hey, look at me."

Alice gasped as Tom squeezed her hands. She quickly looked down at him and did her best to steady her breathing as Tom smiled weakly.

"You're not going to lose her. We're going to get you to the hospital and see what's going on, okay. You have to get up now."

Tom stood up from the floor and furrowed his brow as Alice shook her head. He swallowed the lump in his throat seeing Alice's whole body shake as she wept.

"I can't stand up. I can't do it."

"Alice, you have to. It'll be okay."

"I'm scared, Tom."

"I know you are. I'm scared too," He told her. "But we have to go to the hospital now."

Alice shook her head again and Tom knelt back down in front of her.

"You can do it, Alice. I'm right here with you. Let's stand up together."

Tom did a small countdown and once he reached three, both stood up to their feet and Tom was quick to wrap his arms around Alice, holding her steady as she wobbled.

"See. I got you. I always got you." Tom chuckled lightly.

He then reached over to the counter and pulled out one of Alice's pads. She furrowed her brow as she heard him open it behind her back.

"Now, I'm going to put the pad on your underwear for you to put on so we can catch the bleeding. Then, we'll get into the car and go to the hospital. While I'm doing that, can you call them to let them know we're coming in?"

Alice nodded her head as she reached into the pocket of her dress. Tom moved them closer to the counter and let Alice grip onto the edge, balancing herself. As she called her doctor to let her know the situation, Tom knelt down and had her step into the underwear. He then pulled it up and softly patted her rear, flashing her a quick smile. When Alice hung up the phone, Tom took her face in his hands and pressed a kiss to her forehead. He then reached for a towel and wrapped it around her waist. Tom helped Alice out the front door and into the passenger seat. Once he put the seat belt around her, Tom hurried to the driver's side and began driving towards the hospital. Hearing her wince in pain, Tom took her hand in his and squeezed it gently.

"We'll be okay, Alice. We'll be okay."

At the hospital, Tom parked the car and helped Alice out of the car. With his arm wrapped around her waist, they walked into the building and checked in. A nurse was waiting with a wheelchair and slowly sat Alice down in it. As they made their way to their floor, Alice kept her hand in Tom's, not ever wanting to let go. When they brought them to one of the rooms, they helped change Alice into a hospital gown and laid her down on the bed. Tom then took a chair and pulled it up beside the bed, keeping his grip on Alice's hand. Michelle then entered the room and ran an ultrasound, as well as a blood and urine test. Whenever a nurse asked Tom to step to the side, Alice was quick to respond.

"No! He stays here with me. He has to."

Tom smiled weakly as Alice glared at the nurses. Michelle chuckled lightly and assured Alice that everything would be alright. Once all the tests had been completed, Michelle excused the nurses so that it was just her in the room with Tom and Alice.