Chapter Twenty-Six

"Ms. Page, what is your occupation?" Diane asked.

"I manage and choreograph performances at the cabaret theater, Madame le Fleur's, several minutes away from here in the city." Esther answered.

"When did Mrs. Alice Hiddleston audition for the upcoming season at your theater?"

"Alice auditioned in January thousand-eight."

"And how old was Mrs. Hiddleston at the time of her audition?"

"She was seventeen," Esther replied. "But showed a hell of a lot of talent for a girl her age."

"You allowed a seventeen year old to join a cabaret show? A minor?" Diane furrowed her brow.

"With a girl as talented as her, I wasn't going to let her go that easily. I stand by my decision as my own daughter, Jamie, has been dancing since with my ensemble since she turned eighteen."

"So, you would let your eighteen year old daughter join but not wait until Mrs. Hiddleston was that age as well?"

"As I said, I stand by my decision." Esther spoke.

"Let's put your daughter in Mrs. Hiddleston's shoes for a minute," Diane told her. "Let's say your daughter, after a series of erratic behavior and rebellion against your authority, decides to audition for a show, as a minor, that exhibits routines of a sexual and provocative nature. She gets the gig and decides she wants to leave home, cutting herself off from you. Would you let her go?"

"Being the one who manages a show that exhibits routines of a sexual and provocative nature, as you so nicely put it, I don't believe I have a say in anything she does," Esther smirked. "Besides, she's my headliner."

Jamie chuckled from the gallery and Cory quickly hushed her as a few others in the room looked over at them.

"Sorry." She whispered, still trying to hold back her laughter.

"No further questions, your Honor."

Hank walked over to the witness stand and gave a quick wink in her direction, unseen by everyone except Esther.

"Now, Ms. Page, can you explain to us what exactly a cabaret show is?"

"Cabaret is a form of entertainment, including song, dance, usually held either in a nightclub, restaurant, or casino. There is a stage for the performers and the audience sit at tables where they eat and drink. At my theater, we only offer drinks."

"What kind of an audience does your show advertise to?"

"Our show is advertised to those eighteen and older."

"What type of routines does your show perform?"

"All the routines are covers of songs, usually sung by one of my performers, while the ensemble members dance with them." Esther explained.

"What costumes do the performers wear?"

"My performers usually wear lingerie for the routines, or clothes that are easy to take off as some routines call for the performer to strip."

"Now, when did Mrs. Hiddleston audition for your theater?" Hank asked.

"January two thousand-eight."

"At seventeen years old?"

"Yes."

"When did she start performing in your cabaret show?" Hank inquired.

"Late May of two-thousand eight." Esther answered.

"Do you know the date of Mrs. Hiddleston's birthday?"