Chapter Thirty-Five

Once inside, Alice's eyes widened seeing Esther sitting on one of the benches. She was looking around the room, and when her eyes landed on the two of them, Alice quickly pulled her hand away from Tom's as she rushed over to her. Alice wrapped her arms around Esther's neck and let out a sigh of relief.

"Did you tell him?" Esther whispered.

"I couldn't find the right time. I couldn't." Alice whispered back frantically.

"I told you to do it before today."

"I know, but with the kids and all the appointments and meetings... there was no time."

"Nice to see you here early, Esther." Tom spoke as he caught up to the two of them.

"Just wanted to be here and offer my support and so you two weren't alone." Esther smiled at him.

"That's very kind of you." He replied.

"Everyone else should be here shortly."

"Good." Alice did her best to smile.

"Do you mind if I speak with Alice privately for a moment?"

Before Tom could answer, Esther took hold of Alice's hand and walked down the hall. Every so often, Tom glanced over at the two of them, narrowing his eyes, trying his best to listen in on them as much as he could.

"So, what are your plans, Alice? When are you going to tell him?"

"Probably after the meeting."

"Probably?!"

"I will do it after the meeting." Alice told her.

"Good, because if you don't do it, I will."

Alice's eyes widened and as she went to protest, Esther took a step towards her.

"I mean it, Alice. If you won't, I will. I won't have you continue to sacrifice your happiness and well-being for him."

"I'm going to tell him, Esther. I just want to do it somewhere where it's private."

"Fine, but just know that I've got my eye on you. Don't think I won't do it."

At that moment, everyone else from the group entered the building and gathered together. As Hank was talking to them and going over what might happen in the courtroom, Tom glanced over to the entrance and saw Diane, John and Connie enter the building. After a moment, he then caught Jack's eye as he stalked inside. Tom furrowed his brow seeing how much Jack had changed. He had grown out a beard, gained some muscle, and carried himself as if everything was staring at him. Seeing Tom, Jack smirked and gave him a wave as he followed after Diane.

Tom quickly excused himself from the group and walked over to Jack, hopefully to try and figure out exactly why he was here. Jack extended his arm out to Tom and the two shook hands as they greeted one another. Tom stuttered to speak seeing how jovial Jack was acting towards him.

"I never thought this was how we would be meeting each other after everything." Tom chuckled nervously.

"I never thought I'd see the day where you'd be in court."

"Oh, I'm not the one on trial. My wife and her brother are."

"Wife? Which one is she?" Jack smirked, glancing towards the others.

Tom chuckled lightly as he debated whether or not to answer the question.

"What are you doing here? I mean, why are you a witness?" Tom retorted.

"You don't think I would be here if I didn't know why?" Jack scoffed. "So, uh, someone from the college I still keep in contact with let me know that you had applied for my job when I resigned."