Chapter Thirty-Nine

Tom removed his scrubs as everyone took a seat in the waiting area. He took a moment to compose himself and cleared his throat.

"We had been arguing about things regarding our relationship, which I'm certain you all probably know about."

Jamie and Cory chuckled lightly, making Tom grin.

"It all happened so fast. First we were arguing, then she goes to the bathroom, I hear her screaming and there she is... sitting on the edge of the tub with blood dripping down the side. We came here and the doctor told us that her placenta detached and then the baby's heart rate dropped so we went in for a c-section."

"So then why are you out here and not in with her?" George inquired.

As Tom went to speak, no words could leave his mouth. Only his sobs as he put his hands over his face and bent forward in his seat.

"Tom? What happened?" Pierre asked softly.

Tom inhaled deeply as he leaned back, wiping his hands over his face.

"Everything was going well, but I think Alice started to lose a lot of blood so they took me out of the room while Michelle handles it. I don't know anything else," Tom told them. "And... Oh, my god! I haven't even gotten to see her. I haven't even gotten to see our baby!"

"Calm down, Tom. I'm sure Alice is in good hands." Cory told him, patting his back.

"What if she isn't? What if she dies because of me?"

"Are you crazy?! She's not going to die and you certainly aren't at fault." Jamie protested.

"She looked so lifeless on the table there. She looked exactly like she did after the accident. This is all my fault. I should have told her everything sooner. I should have told her six years ago. I should have just told her!" Tom vented.

"Told her what?" George asked.

Tom looked up at everyone and exhaled sharply as he closed his eyes.

"I should have told her that the accident was my fault," Tom confessed. "I should have told her that I accelerated as I looked at a text message on my phone, not being able to see the guy merge into our lane. I should have told the judge that during our case."

"So that's what it was that you were hiding?" Esther raised her brow.

"Yes. I was the reason we lost the baby. I was the reason for all her suffering. And now... I'm the reason I might lose our baby and Alice." Tom told them, his voice breaking.

"You're not going to lose them. They'll be fine."

"You didn't see what I saw!" Tom exclaimed. "I saw the blood staining the sheets and up to the elbows of Michelle's gown. She needed me there beside her and I couldn't help her. I can't lose her. I can't. I didn't even say I love you to her today. I might lose her and she won't even know that I love her."

"But she does know. She will always know you love her even if you don't say it." George reassured him.

"I failed her as a husband. I've been so mean to her because of this stupid idea in my head."

"What idea?" Esther asked.

"That if I told her the truth, she'd leave me. I love her too much to let her go." Tom spoke softly.

"It's okay now. Alice will be fine and so will the baby." Jamie added.

"I want to thank you all for rushing over here. I know you'd much rather be by her side than mine."