Chapter Thirty-Six

"Just tell me you meant nothing behind it. Tell me that." Tom's voice echoed through the room.

"She's a good student and I've seen that from all the meetings we've had organizing this as her senior project and getting approved. You can't deny that she's attractive, though." Jack's voice answered.

"What?"

"Come on, Tom. Admit it. She's an attractive girl. Besides, she's graduating next month so why not flirt a bit?"

"Because you're with Diane?"

"It was always great meeting with her on Tuesdays and Fridays. She'd always be dressed up and wearing this amazing perfume. It was as if she wore it just to be a tease."

"You're disgusting." Tom's voice seethed.

"What? You can't stand there and not tell me you don't think the same thing."

"I don't. She's my student and our relationship only goes that far. You're the dean of this program and to speak to her and speak about her in such an unprofessional manner is disgusting."

"You know, I mentioned her once to Diane and she got very upset. She said she was tired of hearing her name come out of your mouth."
"I spoke about her because she has immense talent and potential. She was working with me during my office hours and sometimes Diane would stop by. Out of all the students I've taught here, I know for a fact that Alice will make it in this world. She has what it takes."

As the recording came to an end, Alice slowly turned around in her seat and immediately found Tom's gaze. Tom leaned forward in his seat as he swallowed the lump in his throat, trying to read Alice's expression. After a moment, Alice smiled sadly and turned back around in her seat. She then looked over at Diane and was surprised to see the shocked expression on her face. In that moment, Alice realized that Jack had most likely lied to her about his resignation and that's why she came to Tom for answers. Diane then turned her head and did a double take when noticing Alice's eyes on her. Alice inhaled sharply as Diane stared at her blankly. After a moment her blank expression turned to one of shock as she quickly averted her gaze.

"So, Mr. Washington... you really prioritzed your students over everything else?" Hank smirked.

"We all get urges from time to time. At least I never acted on mine." Jack retorted.

"No more questions, your Honor."

As the hearing went on, Diane called back on John, Connie and George to ask them more questions about their home life. It all seemed to go on forever until Diane's and Hank's closing statements were to be told. Hank was given permission to speak first.

"I think it's clear based on the reactions of the plaintiffs and my clients' statements that my clients have in no plausible way acted negligently in the 'distress' that the plaintiffs have described, "Hank spoke to the room. "Instead, I see a father who had taken advantage of his children and beaten a defenseless girl, his child, and for what? Because she was pursuing her dream career?And for what reason should Mrs. Hiddleston's relationship to her husband was brought into question when it was consensual and no abuse of power was taken. I see a son who was inspired by his sister's courage and took a stand for himself against his abusers, wanting to make a life for himself. I think it is clear that my clients are the ones who suffer from the lifelong effects of the abuse and emotional distress they endured while living with the plaintiffs. Do not allow these child abusers to get away with the destruction they have caused. It is my clients that deserve to be repaid for the abuse they endured, although, no amount could ever give them back the childhoods that they so rightly deserved."