Chapter Eight

Alice and Tom sat down on the bed as he held the envelope in his hands. His fingers ran over the paper as Alice took a few deep breaths before biting down on her lip.

"Do we open it together or does one see before the other?" Alice asked.

"I think together is best."

"Okay."
Tom moved closer to Alice and sat beside her. Alice then placed her hand on the envelope and the two held their breaths as they flipped open the envelope. They pulled out the piece of paper and looked at one another before folding it open.

"Do you want it to be a girl?" Tom asked.

"No matter what the gender is... I'll be pleased." Alice replied.

The two shared a sweet kiss before turning to look down at the paper. As they opened it, their breaths hitched in their throats as they read the word written out by their doctor: boy.

Tom found himself smiling brightly as he stared down at the paper.

"A boy. We're having a boy." He spoke quietly.

Alice bit down on her lip as she tried to hold back her tears, laying her hand on her belly.

"We're having a boy." She giggled in response.

The two laughed together as Tom wrapped his arms around Alice. The two then laid back against the mattress as Tom kissed her several times. Alice placed her hands on his chest, pulling him back. Tom licked his lips as he gazed into her eyes, smiling softly.

"Are you happy?" Tom asked.

"I am so utterly happy." Alice beamed.

She then grabbed onto his shirt and pulled him into another kiss. She then gasped feeling the cool touch of his fingers graze over the skin of her belly. He caressed it gently, looking down at it as he pulled back.

"Hello there, little guy. We're very excited to meet you." Tom whispered.

Alice beamed with joy as she watched Tom. Whenever she listened to him speak to the baby, she couldn't help but smile. It made her excited to see how Tom would speak to their baby once it was born. She knew he would be an amazing father.

Tom then pressed a kiss to her belly before laying his head just above her bump. Alice ran her fingers through his hair, noting its length.

"You ever think of cutting your hair soon?" She inquired.

"I think I want to grow it out a bit more. Same as the beard." Tom replied.

"I wonder what will happen if you have a beard when the baby is born and when you shave it, the baby won't recognize you."

"What makes you think he won't recognize me?" Tom raised his brow, chuckling lightly.

Alice went to respond but stopped herself. He. Tom furrowed his brow seeing the tears well in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" He pressed his hands into the mattress, sitting up.

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong."

"Then why are you crying?"

"I'm just... I'm just so happy."

Tom chuckled as he laid a kiss to her lips before standing from the bed as Alice sat back up on the edge of it.

"Now, we're going to have to think of names for this little guy." Tom remarked.

"Yeah."

"Hey."