Chapter Thiry-One

A few days later, Alice had come to a rehearsal with Emma, ready to get to work. She went over to Pierre and Cory and smiled seeing Pierre take Emma into his arms.

"Hey there, Emmy-Wemmy," Pierre brushed her hair back. "How are you doing today?"

"Good." Emma beamed.

"Are you excited to watch us all dance and sing?"

She nodded her head and Pierre chuckled as he pressed a kiss to her temple. He then placed her back down on the floor and Alice told her to go take a seat at the table.

"Esther said she wanted to speak with you before rehearsal started." Cory spoke.

"She in her office?"

"Yeah."

"Keep an eye on Emma." Alice said walking towards the door.

She made her way to Esther's office and knocked on the door. She heard Esther call out to her and entered the room.

"Cory said you want to speak to me."

"Yes. Sit down."

Alice inhaled deeply as she took a seat across from Esther's desk, gripping the armrests as she sat down.

"Am I in some sort of trouble?" Alice furrowed her brow.

"No, you're not. I just wanted to see if you would consider taking a break from rehearsals here."

"What?" Alice scoffed. "Why would I take a break?"
"Well, with the new court date, I know you, Tom, George, and Hank are all going to be planning for anything Diane might throw at you. Plus, you're a few months away from having a baby. You need to rest."

"I'll rest when all of this is over."

"Alice, take me seriously. I'm concerned about you. Tom told me about the night before you went to court."

Alice scoffed as she rolled her eyes.

"Of course, he would." Alice mumbled.

"Everyone knows the routines and we have you on video in case we need to reference them. Jamie also knows the routines. I want you to go home and rest. I don't want you worrying about anything, okay." Esther told her.

"Esther, this is where I come to relax. This is what's keeping me going. Please... don't take this away from me." Alice spoke softly.

"I love you like my own. You know that, and I do everything I can to protect my own. With what Tom told me and watching you in court... you need a break."

"Did Tom tell you about my preeclampsia too?"

Esther took a deep breath as she adjusted herself in her seat, leaning forward.

"He did."

Alice bit down on her bottom lip to stop herself from crying.

"Which is why you need to go home and rest. We know the routines, we know the steps. We love and we'll miss you, but you need to recognize that you're going to do more harm to yourself and the baby if you don't stop and rest." Esther explained.

"Fine, I'll just go home." Alice spoke, standing up from her seat.

"Alice, do not get defensive with me."

"I'm not getting defensive. I'm doing what you're asking of me." She retorted.

"I'm not making this decision to hurt you. I'm doing this to help you. I need you to understand that." Esther protested.