Chapter Twenty-Three

The following morning, Tom woke up and stretched. As he spread out on the bed, he turned to the side and sighed seeing that Alice hadn't come back to bed last night. He got out of bed and quietly made his way down the hall to the living room. He let out a breath as he sat in the armchair, watching Alice as she slept. After a few minutes, Alice began to wake and rubbed her eyes as she sat up against the couch. Turning her head to the side, she gasped and put her hand over her chest, chuckling lightly.

"What the hell are you doing there?" She asked.

"I didn't mean to scare you," Tom replied. "Why didn't you come to bed last night?"

"I told you. I didn't feel like getting up."

"Your pillow is there with you."

Alice inhaled deeply as she glanced down at her lap.

"Why didn't you come to bed last night?" He asked gently.

"I didn't want to." She answered honestly.

"Alice..."

"You want honest answers, so there you go. I didn't want to come to bed last night."

"Why?" He scoffed.

"It's because of the fact that you don't know why." She retorted.

"What is that supposed to mean? How do I know why if you don't tell me?"

"Just drop it."

"No! I'm tired of 'just dropping it,'" Tom told her. "Anytime I try and talk to you about things like this, you tell me to stop and you just go sit in a corner and sulk. I've done it in the past because I knew you were healing and getting through everything, but now it's different. We've moved on from it."

Tom panted softly as his eyes glanced over Alice's face as she did her best to avoid looking at him. He noticed the tears in her eyes and he scoffed as he nodded his head, throwing it back to stop his own tears.

"You didn't move on... did you?"

Alice swallowed the lump in her throat and forced herself to smile as she finally willed herself to look him in his eyes.

"Of course, I did. I had to... remember?"

Tom chuckled harshly as he stood from the armchair and sat himself down next to Alice.

"Prove it to me." Tom said softly.

"What?" Alice scoffed.

"Prove to me that you've moved on."

Alice stammered as she glanced over his face, feeling her chest tighten seeing his expressionless look.

"I have moved on." She answered.

"Moved on from what?" Tom inquired.

At that moment, Alice gasped softly, realizing what he meant. She took a few short breaths as she willed herself not to cry. She kept her eyes on his and took his hands in hers.

"I have moved on from it." She replied.

Alice felt the bile rise in her throat seeing Tom smile and bring her hands to his lips, pressing a kiss to the knuckles.

"Good," Tom grinned. "Now, I have to get ready for the last day of classes."

Alice nodded her head as Tom walked back down the hall. After Tom had left with Daniel, Alice drove with Emma to the theater to be there for their first rehearsals for the new season. Alice sat down at the table with Emma in her lap and greeted everyone as they took their seats. Jamie entered with Esther and took her seat next to Alice. As Esther was explaining the new routines for the upcoming season, Jamie leaned towards Alice and smiled giddily.