Chapter Thirty

Alice remained silent as George finished speaking, processing everything he told her. She slowly nodded her head as George took her hand in his.

"So, yeah... that's what happened in between. After that is when you got up and went for the stairs and then he tripped you."

"Thank you for telling me."

"Of course. No matter how horrible it was, you deserve to know what happened." George told her.

At that moment, Jamie walked into the room with a bright smile.

"I'm ready for our date." She announced.

Alice and George stood from the couch and walked with her to the front door.

"You guys have fun tonight." Alice opened the door for them.

"Thanks, Alice. Have a good night!" Jamie beamed.

She walked out with George and Alice closed the door after them. As she turned around, Tom appeared in the kitchen doorway with a smile on his face.

"They're kind of like us when we went on our first date, huh?" He chuckled.

"Yeah... kind of." Alice replied.

George walked over to his car and opened the door for Jamie, helping her in. He then got into the driver's seat and grinned as he glanced over at jamie, putting on his seat belt.

"I didn't get a chance to say it when you first walked out, but you look very pretty."

"Thank you." Jamie blushed.

Once at the restaurant, the two sat down on their table, ordered their drinks, and went looking for what meal they wanted to order. After they ordered and received their drinks, the two got to talking.

"You know, I don't think I ever properly complimented you on your performance at the theater." George chuckled.

"Well, now's your chance."

"You were really good. I've never seen a show like Madame le Fleur's."

"That's the point. No one has ever seen a show like Madame le Fleur's." Jamie retorted.

"What do you do to maintain that stamina to perform five shows a week?"

"Well, in the beginning, it used to be seven shows a week and my mother changed it after my first year there."

"Why?" George inquired.

"She realized that a lot of people she was hiring were young and either had side jobs or were in school, like Alice, so she decided to cut down the days we perform. Also, she was dead set on Alice as the headliner so she knew she needed her to be available," Jamie explained. "But, it's a lot of just exercise, eating right, getting as much rest as possible, and dancing whenever and wherever."

"Once all this court stuff blows over, I'm hoping to go again with Alice to see the new season."

"Oh, it's going to be amazing. The choreography that Alice has made up is insane. Her choreography alone is the exercise I need to keep my stamina up." Jamie laughed.

George smiled brightly as Jamie brushed her hair behind her ear as she took a sip of her drink.

"So... flowers!" She grinned.

George's cheeks flushed as he chuckled, glancing down at his lap before looking back at her.

"Yeah, I'm the flower guy. Always have been."

"What got you into it? I mean, I don't know anyone who's ever thought about being a florist to know why they wanted to be one."

"I don't really know myself. It always has been this feeling. I was always drawn to flowers and doing whatever I could to learn about them. I actually got a teacher in elementary school to get me books on flowers from the public library because I knew my parents would never let that happen. I think what drew me to them the most was what they symbolize. It's like flowers are a secret language that very few people know about. People use them to express how they feel for other people, whether that be in a good way or bad way. And so many of them are unique when its come to their colors, designs, names, and everything in between. Every year, on Alice's birthday, starting when we were in middle school, I always gave her a flower that symbolized a characteristic she had that I loved." George explained.