Chapter Three

Tom pulled on the handle of the door and felt the person outside his car pull the door open. Tom squinted as his eyes adjusted to the light. He saw a man standing outside his car who looked equally as frazzled as him. Upon seeing the cuts on Tom's face, the man panicked and leaned forward.

"Are you okay?" He inquired.

"I... I need help." Tom whispered.

"Look, I'm sorry, man. I swear, I didn't see you! You were in my blind spot. I'm so sorry!" The man spoke frantically.

He then looked past Tom and noticed Alice laying against his body. As Tom looked over the man, he felt his heart begin to race as his jaw clenched, seeing that the man had no injuries. The man then turned his attention back to Tom and panted heavily.

"I called the police and they're sending an ambulance. You two are going to be fine." The man reassured Tom.

After a moment, Tom winced and shut his eyes hearing the loud siren and the flashing lights of the ambulance and police cars. As he opened his eyes, he saw several figures running towards him. The man from before got pulled aside by one of the figures. Seeing the ambulance, Tom laid Alice down on his seat as he stepped out of the car. He kept his hand on the scarf and gasped feeling someone place their hand on his shoulder.

"Sir, are you alright?" An EMT inquired.

They took in the cuts on Tom's face and the blood on his shirt. As they tried pulling him aside, Tom shook his head and directed his attention back to Alice.

"Sir, we have to examine you."

"She needs help. You have to help her." Tom spoke quietly.

"Sir?"

"You have to help her! You have to help her!" Tom shouted, finally finding his voice.

"We're helping her. We need to tend to you, too." The EMT replied.

Tom took a step back from the car seeing a few other EMTs open the passenger side door. They removed the scarf from Alice's head and Tom gasped seeing that the scarf had done nothing and she was still bleeding from her temple. He watched as one EMT ran back to the ambulance and pulled out a stretcher. He then looked back at Alice and saw them taking her pulse and checking for any other injuries.

"Please, be careful. She's pregnant." Tom spoke.

The EMT looked up at Tom and smiled sadly, nodding their head. Tom raised his left arm and cried out in pain. The EMT helping him carefully touched his arm and pulled up his sleeve, seeing a large bruise forming around his elbow with a significant amount of swelling.

"Sir, we're going to take you in the ambulance and get you and your wife to a hospital."

Tom was helped to the ambulance as he looked behind him. There, he saw a few police officers talking to the man from before. The man appeared to be weeping as he spoke, his eyes widening seeing Alice be lifted onto the stretcher. They placed a brace around her neck to keep her head steady as they began to tend to the gash on the side of it, pushing the stretcher towards the ambulance.

"Is she dead? Oh, god, is she dead?" Tom panicked.

"They are taking care of her. We need to get you in the ambulance now."

Once in the back of the ambulance, the EMT began tending to his arm, putting it in a sling for the moment. Tom felt his body begin to shake as he watched them bring Alice into the ambulance. He went to stand but the EMT told him to remain seated. As they drove to the hospital, Tom kept his eyes on Alice, watching for any sign of life.