Chapter 23: The Phone Call

**At the doctor's office with Alea..**

"Hello, dear. My name is Dr. Andrews. I'm going to be your obstetrician for the next several months." A tall older woman announced as she waltzed into the room.

"Hello, Dr. Andrews. I'm Alea."

She shook my hand. "How are you doing, hon?"

"I'm OK, and yourself?"

"Glad to be alive." She said smiling."OK, first we're going to start off with getting to know each other. I don't want you to feel awkward having some old lady looking at your private parts." We both laughed.

"OK, well. I'm 26. I've never had kids before. Umm..I'm not married but I do have a boyfriend, who is the father. I..love seafood?"

She let out a strong laugh. "Alright, well I am 52. I have 3 boys. They are all grown now. I've been married twice. I grew up in Rhode Island but I moved down here several years back. I happen to love seafood too."

I nodded and smiled.

"So how'd you find out about the bun in the oven?"

I chuckled, remembering Cindy using the same phrase. "Well, it's actually kind of strange how I found out. I had gotten an STD test and when the lady called me to tell me my results, she also informed me that I was pregnant."

"Oh wow, some day that must have been. Were you trying to get pregnant or was it out of the blue?"

"Out of the blue. I really didn't see it coming." I looked off into the distance, recalling the moment I found out.

"Well, don't fret. You're not alone in this. I'm here to be your 'guidance counselor', so to speak."

"Thank you."

"Have you started taking any medications or vitamins?"

"No, I have a prescription for some type of pill though. I went to the doctor yesterday and he prescribed this for me." I took the paper out of my purse and handed it to her.

She scanned over it and nodded in approval. "That's a good one. I'd suggest taking that too." She handed it back to me.

"Work on getting some prenatal pills as well. They're good for you and the baby."

"What kind?"

"Hmm..I'd try the Nature Made brand. You can buy it at any drug store. The coating is slicker so it'll be easier to swallow. I'm going to warn you, it's a pretty big pill. " She said, chuckling.

"Oh great." I said in a sarcastic tone.

"Don't worry..you'll get used to it." She pulled some papers out of the filing cabinet in the corner.

"When you were at the doctor, did they do an ultrasound?"

"Yes. I saw the baby and everything." I said, smiling.

"That's good." She said, nodding. "How are you feeling?"

I'd heard that question so much that answering had become a second nature to me. "Just a little nausea here and there. Other than that, everything seems to be fine."

"That's good. Any discomfort?"

"Uh, one time. I was at the hospital visiting a sick friend and I was holding her baby and I felt a sharp pain in my stomach."

"Oh really?" She said, not looking up from finding whatever paper she was searching for.

"Yeah. It stopped after that. I don't know where it came from."