Chapter 9: It's Not Right But It's OK

Sean dropped me off at my condo and then left without a word. I didn't bother trying to talk to him, he would only ignore me anyway. 

I got out my key and unlocked my door. I walked into a quiet, lonely condo. As usual.

I went in my bedroom and took off my work clothes that I was still in. I decided on wearing a AI sweatshirt and some sleep shorts. 

I collapsed on my couch and turned on the TV. I thought about calling Sean, but I wasn't sure what I would say if I did.

Notorious was on. It was one of my favorite movies. My house phone started to ring. I groaned and lazily got up to get it.

"Hello?" I said, rubbing my forehead. 

"Alea?" It was a man's voice. 

"Who is this?"

It was silent on the other line. I heard heavy breathing.

"OK, I'm hanging up," I said as I began to remove the phone from my ear.

"No wait."

"What? I don't even know who you are."

"It's Carson." 

Why in the world was he calling me? I looked at my clock on the stove. It was 8 p.m.

"Are you there?" he said asked in a hushed tone.

"Yeah, I'm here." 

"OK, how are you?" he said, as if we were old buddies.

"Carson, quit the small talk. You called me for a reason. What is it? I don't even know how you got my number. Did Bridget give it to you?" I said, quickly.

He laughed a little. "You sound angry, I see." 

His laughter rose my anger. I closed my eyes and paused. "What do you want!"

"I just wanted to see how you were doing, jeez," he said, with a hint of attitude.

"It's been eight years Carson. Eight years. You've had eight years to see how I was doing, but you choose to wait till' now. A little suspicious, don't you think?" I said, now fully irritated.

"Look, Alea. I didn't call to pick a fight-"

"Then what did you call for?" I said sharply.

"You know what, nevermind. Bye." I heard the phone click.

What a bitch. 

I slammed down the phone and stood there staring at it for a minute. He made me so angry. Everything he did just pissed me off. 

I stormed off back into the living room and plopped down on the couch, pouting.

"Probably wasn't anything important, anyway," I said to myself.

My thoughts wandered back to Sean. I wonder what he was doing. He hadn't called so I figured he wasn't even thinking about me. 

Figures. No one ever cared about my feelings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, I got up early so I could get a head start on my work. I still had tons of things to do for my film. 

I quickly put on some slacks and a dark blue blouse with ruffles down the middle. I searched in my closet for a pair of heels that would look cute, yet slightly comfortable, which was virtually impossible in the world of a girl.