Chapter 17: Something's Not Right

We finished breakfast within the hour and I was able to get everyone dressed in time - even with the twins' constant bickering.

"Ryan, does your mom have any car seats?" I asked. I hadn't thought about how I would actually transport them.

"I'm not sure, Tyler does though." Great. "We usually ride in his car."

All of this for nothing. Such a failure.

"There's a small baby store down the street. They probably have car seats." He suggested.

"I can't leave you guys here by yourselves."

"Come on. It'll just be for a few minutes."

I looked at him and sighed. What other choice did I have?

"OK, fine. You guys stay in here. Do not go anywhere."

I picked up my keys. "Chris!"

He came running out of his room. "Yes?"

"I'm going to run to the store down the street to get some car seats, OK?"

He looked a little uneasy. "OK."

"Don't go anywhere. Not even the basketball court. It will only take a few minutes." I picked up my coat.

He nodded and went back in his room.

"Ryan, can you watch your brother and sisters while I'm gone?"

"Sure thing." He said, smiling. This kid really had to grow up fast.

"Alright, here's my phone number." I wrote down my cell phone number on a piece of paper and handed it to him. "Call me if there's any problems, alright?"

He nodded and put the paper in his pocket. "You are coming back, right?"

I looked at the pained expression on his face. "Of course." I gave him a quick hug.

"Alright, I'll be back." I said walking out of the door and closing it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I got to the store, I saw that it wasn't very big. I only saw two people working there.

"Excuse me, can you tell me where the car seats are?" I asked one of the clerks that was on the ladder.

She looked down at me. "Sure."

She walked me over to the car seat section. There were about 5 left on the shelf.

"These are the only ones we have." The clerk said as she walked away.

Unfortunately, I didn't know the weight or height of the kids so I took a good guess.

I ended up buying two pink car seats and one blue one. I figured that Chris was old enough to sit in a regular seat.

As I was standing at the counter waiting for the cashier to give me my change and receipt, I saw some candy bars sitting on the counter.

"Are these for sale?" I asked, pointing at the candy.

"Each are 75 cents." The cashier said handing me my change.

"May I get two please?" Ryan and Chris had been so helpful, I had to reward them.

The cashier gave me an annoyed look and took two of the candy bars from the basket and rung them up.

"Thank you."I said, handing her the money.