Chapter 10: It Couldn't Get Any Worse

It was around 2 p.m. and I still hadn't heard from Sean since yesterday. He must have been really mad at me..even though I didn't do anything. I contemplated on calling him but my pride wouldn't let me. 

I'd finally finished the characteristics of my characters and I was ready to write the scripts. This was the most difficult part, seeing as how all of the lines had to flow and be coherent with one another. 

My cell phone began to ring and I hoped it was Sean. But it wasn't. It was my brother, Eric.

"Hey," I said flatly as I highlighted something on my paper.

"Hey?" he said mocking my tone. "What's up with you bighead?"

"Eric, come on. I'm not in the mood for insults." I said, sighing.

"Alright, alright. What's wrong though?" 

"Guess whose in town," I said, rolling my eyes slightly.

"O.J. Simpson?" he said, chuckling.

"Shut up. That's not funny. Now take a more intelligent guess please."

"Umm..I don't really know."

"Bridget."

He gasped. "For real? Bridget from your high school?"

"Yes. That's not all. Bridget plus Carson." I took out my white out and held the phone against my ear with my shoulder. "And all her kids."

"You're lying," he said in awe.

"I'm not. Met them yesterday. And Bridget came to my job Tuesday," I said, laughing bitterly.

"Please tell me you're joking. That thing has kids?" 

"Yes, that thing does. 5 of them." 

"All by the same guy?" he asked in a tone as if I had just told him I had three legs.

His tone made me laugh aloud. "Eric, it's Bridget we're talking about. Of course not." 

He was quiet for a second. "Wow." 

"She came to me for a job." I smirked. 

"Did you give her one?"

"Hell no. She filled out an application though," I said walking over to close my door.

"You looked at it?"

I hesitated at answering. I didn't want to put Bridget's business out about the HIV. "Yeah, I looked over it. Not thoroughly though." It wasn't a complete lie. 

"Oh OK. Well, I'm not sure what to say, sis." 

"Me either." 

"You talked to dad recently?" 

"Uh, the last time I talked to him was last month, I think?" I licked my finger and turned a page of my dictionary. 

"You should call him ASAP. I talked to him yesterday and he didn't sound too good."

A rush of worry came over me. "Oh, really? Is he sick?"

"I'm not sure. He said he's just been having migraines and pain in his chest lately. He's got a really bad cough too." My heart sank even more. 

I sighed sadly. "I'll give him a call."

"Good. Well look sis, I know you're probably at work doing boring movie stuff so I'll catch you later," he said playfully.

"Eff you Eric." I said laughing. "OK, it was nice talking to you. Love you."

"Love you too, sis. Take care. Don't stress out over this stuff."