Chapter 122

"So this is what you do the first time we are back together as a family? Vampire book club?" Rebekah's voice was heard the moment I entered the house.

"Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?" Klaus replied calmly.

"Yes, it's quite right Niklaus."

"And what's this business?" Rebekah asked. I came closer to the room they were in, so I could see the dead body of a girl on the table. Typical.

"This is a... peace offering." Elijah replied, his tone indicating that he couldn't care less.

"I presumed that after so much time desiccating in a coffin my big brother might be a bit peckish." Klaus explained.

"So I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behaviour that indicates contrition and personal growth. Not this nonsense."

"Well, I could let it go to waste, could I?"

"Do you make any sense?" I said to Rebekah stepping into the room.

"Cassandra!" She exclaimed seeing me. "You are back." She said smiling. I shrugged.

"I hope everything here is ok."

"Well, since Elijah is in charge how could be happening the opposite?" Klaus replied.

"Well, whoever is in charge Niklaus, we are glad to have you back Cassandra." Elijah said leaving the book he was reading and standing up, approaching me. I glared at him and turned around heading to the kitchen. I heard Klaus making a not very appropriate comment about the situation, but I chose to ignore it.

Shortly after I had entered the kitchen, Hayley showed up. "Oh, hey!" She said surprised to see me.

"Hello to you too." I replied looking at her startled expression.

"You disappeared. I thought you had left."

"I made an oath and I have to keep it. I left because I had an obligation towards a friend."

"And what will that be?" She said approaching the fridge and taking out some stuff.

"You are asking too many questions. And seriously ice cream and cake leftovers for breakfast?" I said seeing what she had left on the counter.

"What?" I sighed annoyed and started putting back the things in the fridge. "Hey!" She protested.

"Milk and cereals is your breakfast. And if you are still feeling hungry eat an apple." I ordered taking the milk out of the fridge.

"But-"

"I think Cassandra is right on the matter." Elijah interrupted Hayley.

"Good morning." Hayley said to him with a smile.

"Well, since the good Elijah is agreeing with me I guess, you have no choice in the matter." I said ironically, while handing her a ball and some cereals. "Bon appetite!" I said and exited the room, leaving Elijah and Hayley alone.

I returned to the living room, where I found Klaus at the same position and Rebekah on the floor trying to clear the blood from the carpet. She was wearing those yellow protective gloves and was that leach that I smelled? I looked at her with a shocked expression.

"Don't look at me like that! Somebody had to clean this carpet!"

"Nevertheless, I never expected to see you on your knees playing the good housewife." Klaus laughed at my comment, while Rebekah remained silent and glared at me.