Chapter 92

"How are you alive? Are you a ghost or...?" Elena left her question unfinished.

"Not exactly. When I died, the witch Ayana preserved my body with a spell. She was a close friend of mine. An ancestor of your friend Bonnie."

"So, that's why only Bonnie and her mother could open up the casket." Elena realized.

"They complete the Bennet bloodline. I drew power from them and their ancestors that were with me on the other side."

"So you've been on the other side for a thousand years?" Elena asked.

"Nature's way of punishing me for turning my family into vampires. But there is a way for me to undo the evil I created."

"You are here to help us kill Klaus, aren't you?" Elena asked. I could recognize the hope in her voice.

"One thing at a time, Elena. For now, I simply need your help."

What was that supposed to mean?

"I understand Rebekah shared the story of my family. How I upset the balance of nature by turning my children into vampires."

"She said you did it to protect them from the werewolves." Elena pointed out.

"It's true, but in no time at all, they began to feed on human blood. They ravaged the town with no remorse. Eventually, Niklaus turned against me."

"How are you going to kill him?" Elena asked. I paid more attention to the conversation. "He is immortal." She pointed out.

"It will take time, magic and your assistance." Esther replied.

"What do I have to do with this?" Elena asked.

"My children believe, I'm holding this ball to celebrate our reunion. But, in truth, I gathered them together to perform a ritual. The first stage requires blood from the doppelganger."
What's going on? Worried I turned my head to see if anyone saw me. Thankfully, no one. I continued overhearing.

"Its essence will be in the champagne toast, later this evening. Will you do it or shall I?" The sound of something metallic was heard. My heart started beating faster. "Elijah is more suspicious than the others, so he may need more persuasion. But, they must all drink at the toast in order to be linked as one."

"What do you mean linked as one?" Elena asked the question I had too.

"You said yourself, Klaus can't be killed, but tonight's spell links all my children together, so if one goes, they all go."

My heart stopped. She was planning on killing all of them. Including Elijah. And Rebekah. I tried to focus on the conversation.

"What?" Elena asked in disbelief. But, I assumed she had already given Esther her blood.

"I love my family Elena, but they are an abomination. I betrayed nature when I created them. It's my duty to kill them."

I stopped breathing too. I needed some air. I went out as fast as I could, which was very difficult, considering I had to descend a floor and cross a room full of people. Finally, I found myself out at the cold air. There was a bench nearby, so I sat on it, trying to calm myself. How was that possible? How could Elena do something like that to me? I knew her life was messed up, because of Klaus, but why didn't she negotiate? Why didn't she try to save at least Elijah? She knew that if he died, I would die too. Because, I couldn't even imagine my life without him. Hot tears streamed down my face. I embraced myself to be protected by the cold. But, I couldn't stop crying.

"Cassandra?" I heard a voice calling my name. I raised my head only to face Klaus.

"Go away!!!" I shouted.