Chapter 101

Cassie's P.O.V.

I was walking silently with Elena, Bonnie and Caroline. I didn't like the way I treated Rebekah earlier, but everything on her reminded me of her brother. Although, they weren't much alike. The others observed me trying to figure out a way to cheer me up. They would be disappointed when they found out that there was no way to achieve that. I was never going to be happy again. I had reached the ultimate happiness. And now I'd lost it. I would never be whole again. A tear escaped my eye and streamed down my face secretly.

I looked around me. It was very cold today. Like my heart. There weren't many children outside, because of the temperature. I bet they would all be gathered at the Grill. Turning on my right, I saw the park. The park. There was a couple there, ignoring the cold as they were in each other's arms. The girl had blonde curly hair and her cheeks had a shade of red, while the guy had brown hair and looked at the girl like she was the only thing in the world that mattered that moment. In pain I realized they were sitting on our bench. Our bench. I hoped they had a better ending than we did. I heard something cracking. It was my heart. For the first time after a long time, after I met him, my mind, my heart and soul said the same thing. Where are you?

Half an hour later, we were sitting on the Grill, still not having exchanged a word. The girls made some attempts to open a conversation, but they all fell to the ground. Everywhere I looked I saw him. Here are the hallucinations again. It was unbearable. Sighing, I spoke up.

"Guys, I need your help." They looked astonished and happy at the same time.

"Of course, Cassie. What can we do for you?" Elena replied almost immediately.

"Firstly, I need you to keep this incident a secret. I don't want my Granny or Alexander to know any of this. I want to give me your word." They looked at each other and then nodded.

"You have our word." Bonnie said.

"Good. And the other thing I need your help is..." I hesitated for a bit. For a second I thought that it wasn't too late to change my mind. But, how would that help? "I need you to help me pack my things." I said in the end.

"What?" They said in unison.

"You heard right. I'm leaving."

"Why?" Caroline exclaimed.

"Because, I can't stand this anymore. Everywhere I look I see him. Everything reminds me of him. I can't live like that. I need to start over. I need a new life." I said desperately. They would understand.

"And what about us?" Caroline asked bitterly.

"Caroline!" The other two groaned.

"You will always be part of my life. That's not going to change."

"If this is what you need, we won't stop you. We will stand by you." Elena said putting her hand on mine. The others followed her.

"Thank you." I whispered, tears threatening to escape my eyes.

We returned to my home and started packing things, until it was dark outside. The girls wanted to stay, but I urged them to return to their homes and get some rest. But, the most difficult thing hadn't come yet. I had to tell Rebekah.

The morning found me sleeping on the couch. The sunlight coming from the window blinded me. It was really VERY early in the morning. The sun was just rising. I wrapped a blanket around me and opened the door. I sat at the old, wooden rocking chair and watched the sun rising. I would keep that, along with every good memory I had of this place. I heard something snapping and turned my head to that direction, slowly. Someone would immediately be alerted. I didn't care. Nothing mattered anymore. I saw nothing, so I turned my gaze on the sun again.

Damon's P.O.V.

"I don't care!" I yelled.

"Don't you get it? You can't see her!" Elena yelled back.

"I don't give a damn if the fortune-teller is suffering a love disappointment!" I continued yelling.

"Damon, for God's sake, it's six in the morning. Don't you have anything better to do than torturing people?" Elena replied more calmly.

"Alaric is in jail for a murder he didn't commit. If the fortune-teller can shed some light to the case, nothing matters more. Even her condition."

"For the thousandth time, her name is Cassie."

"Whatever." I replied raising my hands.

Before she could do anything, I ran out of her window and headed to fortune-teller's house. I heard her yelling for me to come back, but I ignored her. I arrived at the fortune-teller's house, but stopped dead in my tracks. Quickly I hided myself behind a tree. What was she doing awake anyways? She was the sleepyhead of the gang. I thought I would have to break her door to wake her up! She looked at the sun rising and for a second I thought I had a different person in front of me. Her look was so... not fortune-teller. She looked... broken, lost.

Elena was right. She wasn't the same person. Elijah had done such a serious damage. I stepped back and accidentally broke a branch. My head snapped at fortune-teller's direction, but she didn't do the same. Normal people snap their head to the direction where a weird sound is coming from. But, she... She slowly turned, like she didn't care even if there was a murderer out there. Not seeing anything, she turned again to the sun. Elena was right. As much as I hated to admit it.

I returned to my house and went straight to my room lost in my thoughts. Cassie's picture never left my mind. "Are you happy now?" Elena shouted. She was in my room, standing next to the door with her foot tapping nervously on the floor. She was pretty pissed. Not that I cared.

"What Elena?" I growled. She didn't seem to be affected by my threatening tone and glare.

"What did you say to Cassie? Please don't tell me you made her more upset than she already is!" She continued yelling.

"I didn't." I replied trying to stay calm.

"And you expect me to believe that?"

"Yes! Because I didn't talk to her!" I yelled back. Her eyes grew wide and kept staring me for the next couple of seconds. She looked like a frog. Or a lizard. "Can you leave now?" I replied still pissed, throwing my jacket on the bed.

"What made you change your mind?" She murmured.

"I saw her." I replied not looking at her.

"Wait a minute! You saw her? She was awake that early?" She asked surprised. I didn't reply. I preferred to keep staring at the wall. "Wow, that sounds so not Cassie." She whispered to herself. I remained silent again. "Thank you." She said taking me aback. I turned to look at her with a confused expression. "For not disturbing her." She explained.

"Don't worry about it." I said and turned my back to her again. She didn't reply, but I heard her get out of the room. I sighed and sat on the bed.

Since when I was that sentimental?

Author's Note: Just a filler... Don't worry. We are going to enter the world of the Originals soon.... Promise!