Chapter 120

I tried my best not to react at his name or his presence. That man caused me pain that I doubt anyone has ever felt. He destroyed me. He crushed my heart. The least I could do was hate him. I blocked the rest of the conversation and instead I focused on everything around me. The trees, the light breeze, the moon. Anything that could keep me distracted. That, until I felt his presence behind me. Great...

"Cassandra..." I sighed at the sound of his voice. This was going to be a lot harder than I thought.

"What do you want, Elijah?" I asked in an abrupt tone.

"I came here to thank you. For protecting Hayley." He said taking a few steps forward.

"I gave an oath, remember? I was doing my job." I replied emotionlessly.

"Yet, you could have killed yourself."

"That was part of my job too." He remained silent.

"I would never want that." I scoffed.

"I don't care anymore about what you want, Elijah."

"Cassandra, I-"

"Don't you dare say that you are sorry!" I shouted standing up. He lowered his head, once he made eye contact with me. "You can't make up for everything Elijah! And as sure as hell, you can't make up for what you did to me!" I shouted again, moving past him.

He grabbed my elbow preventing me from moving on. I felt like an electric bolt hit me. I snatched my hand off his grip.

"We are going to leave together, under the same roof for six months at least. Don't you want to make it easier for us?"

"You mean easier for you?" I shouted back at him. "Not for a second!" I hissed and left him alone on the roof.

I didn't stop, until I was in my room. That's when I realized that my heart was pounding in my chest and it felt like it was going to explode. He was right. How was I supposed to live with him for so long? But, I had to. Not only for Hayley, but also for myself. I had to prove to myself that I could live without Elijah, that I didn't care about him anymore. I was better with my humanity off and I didn't intend to change that. I sighed and got out in the hallway. The house seemed empty. Everyone was gathered at the study room, where Elijah told them his fascinating story.

"Everything that brought as in New Orleans was a lie. The story Sophie Deveraux fabricated, this struggle of control of the French Quarter, this war between vampires and witches, it wasn't over territory at all, it was over Davina."

He went on explaining what really happened the night of the Harvest ritual. How the girls chosen for it, were meant to be sacrificed and brought back to life, supposedly. That Davina didn't want to die, so she fled with Marcel who tried to stop the Harvest. That her other friends didn't make it. And that she had been on the run ever since. Poor girl. She had her own struggle to deal with and she was only 16... I was outside the door of the study room and I was listening to Elijah continuing his story.

"Eight months ago, Sophie Deveraux and her sister Jane-Anne, lost everything. Now four months after that, a young, pregnant girl wanders into their restaurant and suddenly all their hope is renewed. Jane-Anne actually sacrificed her life, so that her sister could use Niklaus to find Davina. If Sophie Deveraux is successful in capturing Davina, she can return Jane-Anne's daughter back to life." Unbelievable. What have I gotten myself into again? "We thought we came here to wedge a war for power. This is about family. In order to return her niece to life, Sophie Deveraux will fight to the death. That makes her more dangerous than anyone."
My phone rang, turning everyone's attention to me. I picked it up, not really seeing who was calling and moving away from the studying room.

"Hello?"

"How could you???" The voice from the other end of the line said in-between sobs and tears. I froze. I knew that voice. For the second time today, I felt like my chest was going to explode.

"Elena?"

Author's Note: Hello everyone!!! I hope you liked this chapter. Finally Cassandra and Elijah faced each other. What do you think of their encounter? And what does Elena want? What is she blaming Cassandra for? Also, I'd like to inform you that my exams are just around the corner and perhaps I will not be able to update as frequently, as I need to study for them. It's university guys... I can't do anything about it. So, I'm looking forward to reading your comments on this chapter. Until next time, take care of yourselves! Love you all!!!!!