Reunited

"Let me see your throat." I instruct, pushing past my pain. I may be grieving, but Jorden is dying and in so much more pain than I. He needs me to be strong right now.

Jorden opens his mouth, but then winces at the pain. I sigh and sit back down against the wall. Jorden moves his arm with great effort so it wraps around my shoulders. I snuggle in and lay my head down on his chest trying to escape the situation that we are in.

I miss Cole, and the family. We are both starving and thirsty. The hunters would gift us with a glass of water and some bread twice a day previously; but since they left to go attack our family nobody has been here to care for us. I guess it is a good thing; it gives Jorden time to heal. The wolfsbane in his system has made his wolf go MIA. I know Jorden is going to need help soon. If he doesn't get the wolfsbane out of his system, I fear he will die.

"You know," I start to talk despite the pain from my dry throat, "even though I only knew I was pregnant for a short amount of time; it doesn't make the pain of losing the child any less." I choke back my sobs once again. I have been pushing my misery to the back of mind in hopes to stay strong for Jorden.

Like the devoted friend that he his Jorden hugs me closer to him, but I pull back when he winces in pain. "When do you think you will be able to talk again?" I talk to Jorden as if he can respond, I guess to ease some of my own pain. "We need to get out of here." Jorden nods agreeing with me. Jorden then lifts his hand and points to his head. I frown not picking up on what he is trying to tell me. He then points to his throat. I shake my head when it clicks. "The drug Nathan used to get me here doesn't allow me to use the link." Jorden frowns and hangs his head in defeat. "Don't worry Jorden." I reach out and pick his head back up, "Cole will come; he won't stop until he has us back."

We both perk up when we hear footsteps on the top floor of the house. Not too long afterwards and Nathan storms down the stairs eyes blazing. He pulls everything off the shelves in anger before stomping over towards our cell. "You bastard wolves won the battle!" Jorden couldn't help but smile. Nathan continues, "Dead! You fucking wolves killed most of my army!" Jorden stands up using the wall. He hobbles over towards Nathan and spits in his face. Outraged Nathan opens the cell door and drags Jorden out, forcing him to his knees. Nathan grabs a gun, pointing it at Jorden's head while clenching his jaw in anger. "You will pay for that you dirty bastard."

A growl echoes throughout the room before Nathan is tackled by a wolf. I use this as an opportunity to run to Jorden and help him up. Jorden stumbles over towards the wall and grabs a knife. Distracted by the fight, Nathan never sees him coming. Jorden uses every last ounce of his strength to throw the knife in a perfect spiral into my brother's back.

Just as Nathan falls to the ground he pulls the trigger of the gun in one final act against the werewolf race. The wolf lets out a whine and shifts back. "Grandad!" I rush forward and drop to my knees at the old man's body. "Go," he urges, "Nathan is not dead." I shake my head in defiance. "We are not leaving you Grandad." I look towards Jorden tears in my eyes, nobody gets left behind today. He nods and helps me support Grandad's injured body. Jorden sways at first with the added weight but soon recovers. He gives me a nod and we make our way toward the stairs.

Jorden is breathing painfully heavy by the time we reach the ground floor. I shift Grandad so I am supporting more his weight. You can do this Dani. I self-coax. Grandad is dripping blood onto the floor; the poor man is almost limp in our arms.

We walk outside the door of the house and I breathe in the scent of fresh air and not the metallic stench of blood I had grown accustomed to from the cell. Well, somewhat fresh the ground is littered with the dripping blood from Grandad and Jorden and I both still have dried blood caked to our bodies.

I let out a noise of pain when Jorden suddenly collapses causing Grandad to drop. Not having anything else to resort to I desperately start to scream and pray for a miracle. "Help!" I call. I drop down next to them. Jorden is conscious but breathing heavy. He gestures towards his shirt and nods. Together we manage to get it off him, showing the amount of wounds he has attained from our time here.

I press the shirt to Grandad's gun wound, trying to stop the constant blood flow. "Dani," He croaks. "Go! Get Jorden home." I shake my head, my tears falling down onto Grandad's body. His eyes start to close. "Help!" I shout once again.

Not even seconds later, the pounding of paws can be heard. But it is too late; Grandad takes his last breath. "NO!" I let out a strangled sob but close Grandad's eyes nonetheless. Turning to Jorden I notice the tears glistening in his eyes; after all, the man who raised him just took his last breath.

"They're coming." I pull his head on to my lap and lightly run my fingers through his thick matted down hair. "Everything is going to be ok." I soothe the both of us, "Cole is coming. The pack is coming."

I don't realize Cole and the others have reached us until I feel his furry muzzle against my face. He pulls away from me to turn to look at his best friend. Cole lets out a whine when he takes in Jorden's state before licking at his wounds in an attempt to heal them causing the brunette to smile and hug Cole's furry neck.

Cole shifts back into his human form and pulls us both close to his warm body. I take the opportunity to snuggle close to his warmth and take in the much needed comfort he brought to me. "I'm so sorry." He puts an arm around either one of our shoulders. He kisses my head and buries his face in my hair. I can feel his hot wet tears against my neck. "I'm sorry," he repeats.

"It's ok Cole." I soothe, lightly running my hands through his hair. "We need to get home though, Jorden is hurt, really hurt." Cole shifts his attention to his best friend before cracking a grin. "Man Fly, I don't know whether to get on my knees and declare myself your bitch for putting you through that, or kiss you for what you did for my girl." Jorden smiles and swings his arm around Cole, pulling him once again into a hug. I sit back and stare up at the sky; my baby is somewhere up there. I close my eyes and hold back my tears as I hear Cole begin to shout out orders.

"Denzell," Cole calls his voice cracking, "can you please get my Grandad home?" "Of course Alpha," The loyal warrior responds after sifting back into human form.

Cole stands up before he holds out his arm and pulls Jorden up. "Don't worry Fly; I'll get you home where you will be safe. Ben will tend to your wounds and you will be all better again. I promise Jorden. No more hurt, for any of us." Cole then turns to me and picks me up into my arms where he places a kiss on my lips before just holding me close, reassuring himself that I am really here. After everything we have been through, I don't want to let Cole go ever again.

Cole leads us home, the three of us. Together we can do anything. The bond we share is unbreakable. This battle we may have won, but the war is far from over, fore in this joyous moment when we all reconnected; we forgot about Nathan lying on the basement floor. Injured, but far from dead.  

Duh duh dunnnnnnnn 

Question of the day: has anyone you really loved every died?

FOLLOW

VOTE

SHARE

COMMENT