The Job and the Stranger

When I awake in the morning Father is still sleeping. I take advantage of this time and hurry off into town. If I am lucky I can find a job today, make Father temporarily happy. What kind of job can a mute girl get? Maybe I could talk? I open my mouth to try again for the second time in 24 hours, but am met with the same result. Nine years, it's been nine years since I've uttered a word. Ten years since the abuse started. Ten years since I've truly been myself.

A blush; that is also uncommon to see on my face. But it appears, the minute I walk into the diner. The guy looks at me, just his one gaze makes me feel special. He seems intimidating but something deep down inside of me knows he won't hurt me. But, that still doesn't shake away the fear that I have. He is gorgeous and his eyes hold me captive; I just can't stop staring at them. They are just too beautiful.

I am knocked out of my gaze when a woman walks up to me. "Can I help you?" She smiles, allowing me to know that she is friendly and means no harm. I smile as well, and try to get over my embarrassment. I was caught looking at the honey brown eyed man. I point to the help wanted sign. The woman's eyes light up with understanding and she replies, "You looking for a job honey?" I nod. The woman wipes her hands on her apron. "Well you're in luck." She turns her head, looking over at the man who held my full attention earlier. "Where's your grandad?" Leaning against the wall and putting his hands in the pocket of his jeans, he opens his mouth and responds to the woman. "In the office Nona." Oh my, that voice, it makes my knees go weak. Bringing my attention back to the situation the woman speaks once again. "Ok Hun, you wait right here, I'll go get my... husband, he hires the people around here." Once again I nod. How else am I supposed to communicate? I turn back to the man. So he's the owner's grandson. Before I can allow any more thoughts of this mysterious beauty to float across my mind, an older man walks out with his wife. His grandson turns to him. I see the older man's eyes glaze over. Maybe he has seeing problems? Suddenly, his eyes return to normal and the old man smiles. "My name's Hank and this is my," they share a glance, "wife Loretta. The job is yours if you want it." I smile and nod gratefully. I feel at home with these people. Loretta gives me a big hug. "I'll train you. I'm so excited to have you here. Let's go get your apron, oh, and call me Nona not Loretta and you can call Hank Grandad." Nona whisks me away before I even have a chance to take a breath.

Nona and I are in the back of the diner. She is picking out an apron for me and giving me all the supplies I need to be a waitress. "Hun, what's your name?" Grabbing my pad of paper I write one of the little things I actually learned before education was ripped away from me. Dani. Nona smiles, "a beautiful name for a beautiful girl." Nona's grandson steps out from around the corner. "Nona you stole my line, I was going to say that." He pouts and I giggle. Nona rolls her eyes, "Lay off Cole, you just met the poor girl, don't you have anything better to do then hang around here? What about your job!" Cole's eyes widen suddenly. "I got to go." He crosses the room in three long strides. "But I'll be back." I can feel his warm breathe tickle my face. I want nothing more than to lean in and let him hold me. What are you thinking! I scold myself, you don't even know this man. You are scared of men. I suddenly remember my father. His enraged face so far burned into my mind. My breathing hitches and I take three steps backward. I run right into Nona. I maneuver myself so I am standing behind her. Nona sends me a wary glance before hitting Cole upside the head. "Get out of here and leave this poor girl alone!" I don't move from behind Nona until Cole leaves. Nona turns around. "Dani Hun are you ok?" I nod. "Dani do you talk?" I shake my head. "That's ok Hun, you don't need to talk for this job and I'll make sure of it." I smile in gratitude. "We'll be a team," Nona says, "I'll do the talking, you do the serving." I chuckle and accept the proposal. This woman reminds me of Momma. I like it. But I know not to get too attached, Father will do something horrible to them if I do. Just like everyone else who has been cursed with knowing me. That is going to be hard. I feel a longing towards Cole and his grandparents. They make me feel welcome, and there is something about them. Something about how in a matter of an hour Cole and Nona has been able to unlock the box and allow my feelings to slip through. I like it. I like it a lot, and that is a problem.

True to his word, Cole returned to the diner later that day. I had just served an older couple the last of the breakfast food before taking a small break to prepare for what Nona called the lunch rush. She was back in the kitchen pre-preparing the courses to serve for when the crowds began to swarm in and I behind the counter sipping a glass of well needed water.

From the moment Cole entered through the doors he walked with an aura of confidence that would typically have any other girl swooning. Despite the speeding of my heart, I still felt a small twinge of fear when in his presence. Cole sat down on the bar stool directly in front of me. Neither one of us said a word, but our gazes remained locked on each other; we were in our own personal bubble of growing intensity.

Clearing his throat after what felt like hours Cole broke our silence. Before opening his mouth to speak he took a moment to look down at my apron where Nona had a pinned a beautiful handmade name tag with my name. "Dani." He whispers, my name flowing off his tongue like he was made to say it. I concealed a shudder before nodding my head in acknowledgement. "May I have a glass of water?" I nod before turning around the reach for the glasses and the drink dispenser.

Even with my back turned I can feel the heat of his stare on me. I fight back a blush when I turn around to hand him his drink. "Thank you." He smiles when our fingers graze each other. With no other customers around to need my attention I figured conversation had to be made between me and the handsome brown eyed man in front of me. Reaching into my apron to pull out a pad of paper and my pen I think of what I want to say and how I can get it down with my limited education. Noticing my increasing frustration, Cole speaks up.

"I'll do the talking," he suggests. "You just nod or shake that pretty little head of yours." He smiles when he says the words that bring forth butterflies in my stomach.

"Have you lived here long?" I shake my head no and he nods before responding. "I have, this town has been home to me my whole life. In fact I practically grew up in this diner. Nona is Italian and loves to cook. Grandad bought this for her to run a few years after my dad was born." I smile at the love that shines in his eyes upon talking about his family.

Our game continues, him asking a question, me answering and then him answering throughout the day until closing time when we go our separate ways. For the first time in a long time I made my way home, knowing what would be inside the doors of that house, with a smile on my face. 

Question of the day: Would you rather spend the day with your favorite celebrity or your favorite fictional character? 

Sorry about the short chapter. I promise the next one will be longer.

FOLLOW

VOTE

SHARE

COMMENT