The Immortal Man

I wake up in our bedroom. For a split second I almost forget everything that had happened in the entry way of the pack house. My breathing starts to quicken, he's alive.

Just as I start to see black spots I hear Cole's voice. "Dani, hey calm down ok, I'm here, you're safe. Listen to my heartbeat sweetheart. Breathe with me."

When I calm down and start to see clearly again I realize that I am sitting on Cole's lap. His shirt is slightly damp from where my face was pressed against his chest. I touch it and frown. "Sorry." I mouth the word to him causing him to frown. "Don't worry about the shirt Dani, are you ok now?" I only nod my head in response. I lower my gaze because I can't look into his brown orbs that are reflecting his concern for me.

"Do you want to tell me what happened back there?" Cole probes. My eyes dart across the room. Cole gently re focuses my attention on him. "What are you looking for Dani?" After a few moments of my silence realization floats through his eyes. "No Dani," he says grabbing my hands and pulling me closer, "you don't need your notebook. You haven't in months. Talk to me baby, tell me what has scared you." I swallow rather loudly. I hate how one look at that man and I am thrown back into that moment all those months ago. How how all of my progress has been thrown out the window and I am revert back into my old ways.

"That night I came to live here, I--" My voice cracks preventing me from continuing my sentence. I take a deep breath and start over. Cole continues to gently rub circles on my back to calm me, never once pushing me. "That night, my Father and I had an unexpected guest. My Father, he pushed me into the closet and told me to stay quiet. He, I-I could hear as the man beat him." I flinch at the memory. "He kept saying he wouldn't leave until he got what he wanted. I snuck my way upstairs and grabbed the gun. When I came back downstairs I shot him. He was laying there in a pool of blood. Dead Cole, he died! He wasn't moving for as long as I stood there in shock." Cole grabs my hands in his own offering me his comfort. "Who was the man Dani?" His voice is calm but holds undiscovered emotions. "Your father!" I yell.

Cole's face mirrors my original shock. "You killed my dad. But he's alive again?" I nod frantically. Cole sets me down on the bed and paces the room, his hands tugging and pulling on his hair. "Don't be scared of him he won't hurt you. I'll kill him first." With those words Cole storms out of the room.

What the hell are you doing? I link him while quickly following him out the door, concerned for what he is going to do. Cole is clouded by his emotions right now and isn't thinking clearly.

I gasp at the sight before me when I reach the den. Cole has his father pinned up against the wall. Upon noticing my arrival Jorden walks over to stand next to me. Just watch and listen, He advises, Cole needs to let some of this out. I nod at Jorden showing him I understand and agree.

"What are you on? What kind of shit are you doing now?" Cole's strong voice vibrates throughout the house. His father doesn't even flinch, even as his son shoves him ruthlessly into the wall.

"Step away son." His voice is just as I remember it, cold and emotionless.

Cole shakes his head. "Answer my damn question. What shit are you doing now! How the hell did you cheat death?" Cole pushes his father further into the wall, allowing his hands to tighten their grip around his father's neck.

Mr. Richards starts to ironically laugh. "You want to know how boy! Huh? The blood of the holy goddess herself!" Cole takes a step back, unprepared for that answer. "She came to me, possessing the body of a young woman under my control. If I consumed her blood I would be immortal." Mr. Richards cackles once more.