Date?

The car ride is silent, I don't know where we are going and Cole isn't planning on telling me. I notice that occasionally Cole will reach out, as if he is going to touch me. Hold my hand I suppose, but he never does. He always pulls his hand back once he realizes what he is doing. To be honest, each time I feel a little disappointment. Cole just brings out these feelings that I don't understand. What is he doing to me? And why do I like it?

After a while the car stops. It surprises me when Cole comes around and opens the door for me. Noticing my confusion Cole speaks. "I'm being a gentleman Dani, Grandad taught me the right way to treat a woman." I step out of the car and look around. The park? Cole stands up straighter, "Hey" he defends. "You're never too old for the park." I laugh at his childish attitude before taking off my shoes and running. I don't even look behind me to see if Cole is following. I just enjoy the wind in my face and act like a child; the child I was not allowed to be.

Cole catches up to me fairly easy. He wraps his arms around me and plops me down on the top of the hill. Because of the way we land I am laying on top of Cole, our arms wrap around each other. What I do next is just common sense. I make sure I have a strong hold on Cole before propelling us down the hill. Thankfully gravity is on my side and both of us go tumbling down. Cole being caught off guard doesn't have the balance to avoid the mud puddle from yesterday's rain.

I giggle enjoying the pure joy the hill brings me. When I reach the bottom I am dizzy and disoriented, but in a good way. I guess that's why I didn't see the very muddy Cole stalking towards me. It is too late when I feel him wrap his arms around me, effectively smearing mud all over my clothes. I pout. Cole laughs. "Come on Dani, you knew that I was coming." At this point I couldn't help but laugh. Here is a 23 year old 6'4 muscular man covered in mud at the bottom of the hill at the park. The people with children are probably calling the cops on him. By this point I am rolling on the ground clenching my stomach in fits of laughter. Cole is just hovering over me with an amused smile on his face.

When I finally come too Cole helps me up, that goofy grin still plastered on his face. "You have a beautiful laugh." I freeze. I used my vocal cords. My breathing starts to quicken, I can feel the wheezing start to take over.

"Dani!" Cole calls, pulling me into his arms. "It's ok, your safe breathe, see follow me, in out, in out." Cole continues to rock me back and forth and whisper sweet nothings in my ear until my breathing is under control.

"Dani what happened?" Cole asks, lifting my chin so I am looking at him in the eye. He hands me my notepad. Laughing is talking. Cole looks at me with a broken expression. "Dani, you are safe now, it's ok to talk, and nobody will hurt you anymore." I'm not allowed to speak, I want to but I can't. "Dani why can't you? Who is stopping you?" He questions. On instinct my eyes scan my surroundings, thinking he will be out there somewhere. When I see nothing I pick up my pen. I write the two words that always send chills down my spine. My Father.

Cole's eyes start to darken and he holds on to me tighter. "He will never get you again Dani that is a promise." You're eyes are changing color. Cole blows it off and moves on to his next question. "How can I help you speak again?" I have to get there mentally, I have to feel like he's gone, like I'm completely safe, like he will never stop me again. Cole's eyes tear up. "What did he do to you Dani?" "You are so strong, you survived, you beat him Dani, don't let him win in the end, you can beat this. You will talk again." Survive Ella her words are whispered.

I look at Cole, all I do is lean my head against his chest. I might be removed from Father but the memories remain. The rules that were beat into my head, I must follow them. I can't just get over it, 10 years. All these things, I had to do them. I never knew what he would do if I broke a rule. The punishments got worse the older I became. Some rules I believe I can break out off. Cole is already helping me with that. But some, I know I will do for my whole life, no matter how safe I feel. No matter how close to Cole I am. My brain jut won't let me.

"I'm sorry I brought it up," Cole says sadly. "We can go home if you want." I shake my head. You planned a whole day, we will go through with your plans." Cole smiles. "Well the plan was to hang out at the park for a bit, but maybe we should find some clean clothes." Are we going back home? Cole sends me a smirk, "No, let's have some fun with it." I look at him skeptically before nodding my head yes. Cole sends me his signature ear splitting grin that I have grown to love.

"In that case, you better hold on for the ride my lady." I squeal as Cole lifts me up into his arms with one swift motion.

Where are we going? The car is that way. I begin to question Cole's plan when he carries me in the opposite direction of his truck. "I told you Dani, relax and enjoy the adventure." Still skeptical I do as he says and relax; just enjoying the bliss being in his arms brings me.

Despite the joy, I have an intense feeling that this isn't going to end well.  

Question of the day: Have you ever been on a date? 

FOLLOW

VOTE

SHARE

COMMENT