A New Home

We drive in silence. Nona and I in the backseat, her arms wrapped around me tightly. The drive is mostly a haze to me, with Nona whispering soothing words in my ear. Before long we are pulling into an underground garage. "Come on Dani," Nona coaxes, "it's time to go inside your new home."

My breathing hitches as I look at the mansion in front of me. "Many people live here," Grandad explains, "but our family has a whole floor to themselves." I can't take my eyes off the house, it is the most magnificent thing I've ever seen in my life. You really live here? Nona smiles, "Yes honey, we really live here. It has 9 floors, Hank and I live on the 8th floor. You will have one of the guest bedrooms on that floor." I smile gratefully at Nona. On the way to my new room, Nona is showing me the first floor. Which consists of, what she calls the community areas; a large kitchen, gym, game room, and movie theater.

I am so memorized by everything in the house, that I don't notice when we approach a bedroom. Nona opens the door and nods, encouraging me to go in. The room is everything I never had, it is big and open, roomy and bright, homey and traditional.

Nona it's beautiful, I write. She smiles, "Glad you like it Dani. Tomorrow we can go shopping for clothes." My mouth flies open, this woman wants to spend more money on me?

"Um... Hey." A deep baritone captures my attention. Cole. The man who has unlocked more of my concealed box in the past day than I have allowed in 10 years. Something about this guy... he just brings me comfort.

Nona pats me on the shoulder bringing my attention back to her. "I'll leave you both alone. Is that alright?" I look at Cole who is rubbing the back of his neck nervously. I nod, signaling to Nona that she can leave. "I'll leave clothes out for you dear, I'd take a shower if I were you, the bathroom is right there." She points to a conjoined door before turning to look at Cole. "Behave mister. I don't want to have to regret taking credit for raising you." With those final words she shuts the door leaving just me and her grandson in my new bedroom.

I continue to watch the door after she leaves. This is all so new to me. The feelings that are starting to erupt deep inside me for Cole. The feeling of security I feel when I am around Cole, Nona, and Grandad, but most importantly, the feeling of being wanted. Whenever I see Cole there is that spark that lightens up in his eyes, it's the same one that Momma used to have whenever she saw me.

The sound of someone clearing their throat brings me out of my thoughts. Cole. Looking around the room his gaze settles on the window. "Do you think maybe we can talk?"

The thumping of my heart increases at his question, the sound of rushing water bombards my senses and I struggle for a brief moment to breathe. I can't admit but I don't want to, but at the same time... the thought terrifies me.

Eventually the longing for the emotions that I feel when around Cole wins the battle. Nodding my head I give him the answer he was hoping for.

Releasing a deep breath of air he smiles, "I uh have the clothes Nona dropped off here while you were spaced out. How about you go shower and I'll be waiting right here?" Nodding once again I grab the clothes and make my way towards the room's bathroom.

Upon entry, I look up and see myself in the mirror. Except it isn't me. The real me is trapped inside a box locked deep inside my mind. Physically, I am an outer shell of a broken girl who is scarred beyond belief deep inside. I can't meet the gaze of that girl in the mirror. But, I know that sooner or later my box will be unlocked and I will be free again. Something tells me that man, that honey brown eyed man standing right outside those doors, is the key. Instead of reflecting more on my mental state I walk over to the shower and allow the water to attempt to cleanse me of my past. I take a deep shaky breath just enjoying the release the water always gives me.