Journey Home

We sit in silence just cuddling outside in the castle gardens before Cole finally speaks. "I can't wait until we are done here and back home." Cole closes his eyes, "I dream every day of the moment when we will walk through the front doors of the packhouse together you on my arm. I imagine that to be the start to our long and eventful future."

"We just have to wait a little while more." I say, snuggling closer to him, giving him more comfort. Cole groans, "That's awhile too long. We've announced to everyone that you are my mate, let's go home." "Tonight?" I question. Cole puts his hand on either side of my face. "Tonight Dani." I laugh, "You're quite impulsive Mr." Cole winks, "Only for you baby." "The pack isn't expecting us back yet though." I frown. Cole shrugs, "I'm sure they won't mind having us home early." I scoff, "I can't believe I'm saying yes." Cole pulls me close to him, crashing our lips together. "We're going home!" "Yes," I smile, "Home, we're going home." 

I snuggle deeper into the warmth that surrounds me. I can faintly hear the sound of Cole watching a movie next to me. I peel my eyes open to be met with the sight of Cole. The only light is illuminating from the small airplane tv. "How much longer?" My groggy sleep filled voice asks. Cole's eyes soften at the sight of me. "About seven more hours' baby." Cole pulls the warm blanket up to under my chin. "Get more sleep, we will be arriving in the morning at home." I sleepily smile when Cole kisses my forehead. "I love you Dani." He faintly whispers, but I am already halfway asleep.

I awake again this time much less pleasantly. My head hits the airplane wall causing me to jolt upwards. "Cole what's happening?" Cole turns to me, alarm clear in his eyes. I start to panic, "Cole?" "Hunters." I freeze. Hunters. Cole told me about Hunters. The sworn enemies of werewolves. Recently the Hunters have been attacking the pack and Cole hopes that we won't have to start a war. Cole notices my expression and smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes. "I won't let anything happen to you Dani." "Where are we?" I ask. Cole's eyebrows furrow. "The pilot says we are over Ohio." "How did the Hunters know we are on this plane?" Cole sighs, "This is my private jet, and they must have recognized it. Ohio is the heart of Hunter territory. There is always a risk in flying over Ohio." My breathing hitches, no it must just be a coincidence that this is that state in which I grew up in.

"Will we be ok Cole?" Cole looks off into the distance. "You will be safe with me Dani." Cole lays his hand on my cheek and gently caresses. "I love you Dani." "Stop," I say. "We will be fine." Cole just slightly smiles.

"Alpha," A voice flows through the speakers, "You must leave." Cole doesn't hesitate, he grabs my hand and pulls me towards the hanger. "Cole! We are not jumping!" Cole just sends me a look before putting the parachute on me. "If you want to live Dani, you will follow me." I just nod too scared to talk. "Did you go through training, on what to do in these situations?" Cole nods, "Being an Alpha and a Royal wolf I have had many death threats." Cole buckles the final strap on his parachute. "Come on Dani, we must jump." "May I hold your hand?" "I wouldn't want it any other way." Cole smiles and I grab his hand and squeeze.

"Dani it is very important that when you see me pull the string to release the parachute you do too." I nod. I can't believe I'm freaking jumping out of a plane. Cole counts to three and then takes off running, pulling me with him.

If I could scream, I would have. But I can't all the air has left my lungs. It takes every ounce of strength in my body to not let go of Cole's hand. We've come a long way and I'm not losing him now. Cole lets lose his parachute and I follow suit. It is all free falling from here.

When we safely land Cole is quick to act. "Take the suit off and throw it in the bushes." I quickly scramble following his demands. "I'm assuming we are in the middle of Ohio. That's not good. If we can get to Michigan we will be safe and can return home." "Come on Dani." Cole grabs my hand and looks up towards the sun. He sits and stares for a while before pulling off in another direction. "This way is north."