The Truth

When we returned home from shopping I felt more confident about myself. I no longer have to bear the burden of my past alone. I have Nona and... I guess Cole. She bought lots of clothes for me, but I made sure it was only things I would use. I also made sure all the shirts were long sleeved. Nona didn't ask why and I'm grateful for that.

"Dani?" I look up to see Cole waving a hand in my face. He smiles once he realizes he has my attention. "Dani, Jorden and I are going to watch a movie, want to join us?" I look at him. I am still skeptical of men, but the hope in his eyes has me nodding. Cole smiles and reaches over for my hand. I flinch away on instinct. I immediately feel bad when I see the hurt that flashes through his eyes. Does he actually care? I almost laugh at that thought. But something stops me. I remember how everyone has been treating me since I met them. The moments we've shared; they are acting like they care. Cole, he acts like he loves me.

Next thing I know we are standing outside the movie theater door. I tug on Cole's shirt sleeve just as he is about to open the door. He turns around and looks at me. "What's wrong Dani?" Just me you and Jorden? "Of course, I don't exactly have other friends" He blushes and rubs the back of his neck uncomfortably. I catch this and drop the subject. He opens the door for me and moves to the side so I can walk in.

"AHHHHHHH" I scream as Jorden jumps down in front of me and shouts boo. I stumble back in surprise, my chest rising up and down as I breathe heavily. I start to fight the oncoming panic attack that I feel surfacing. Black dots start to cloud my vision but I will them away. "Dani!" I can hear Cole yelling my name but I am solely focused on beating my panic attack.

It takes several minutes to calm my racing heart. When I come too both Jorden and Cole are looking at me with worry in their eyes. "Dani," Jorden says hesitantly, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. I was trying to make Cole scream." I smile at the thought of Cole screaming. Jorden takes this as I'm not mad and sighs in relief. Not that I am mad, I just don't talk so he wouldn't have known. Wait I don't talk. My eyes snap to Cole's. "Dani, you can talk." He says breathily, like he is still in shock. My eyes widen, I hoped this moment would never come. "Say something Dani." I shake my head. "Come on just one word," Cole coaxes. I shake my head more frantically and reach for my notebook that Jorden is holding. He hands it to me and I flip it open and write, physically, not mentally. Cole's eyebrows scrunch up in confusion when he reads this. "What happened to you Dani?"

I can hear my heart beating in my ear drums. My stomach starts to twist with nerves and my hands get clammy. Can I trust Cole? He defiantly acts like he cares. He has done nothing wrong to me since I got here. I do feel safe when I'm around him, maybe this is the happy ending I was promised. But I've only known him for two days. I finally make up my mind.

With shaking hands, I hold out my notebook towards Cole; no need to re write the story. I flip it open to the explanation I gave Nona and look anywhere other than his face. The whole room is silent. I can hear Cole's breathing change as he reads.

When he is done he stands up, grabs the lamp and throws it. I flinch and scurry away from him, tears flowing down my face. Cole turns back to look at me, neither of us aware that Jorden has begun reading the discarded notebook. He starts to walk forwards, towards me, until there is nowhere else that I can scramble away to. He bends down and lifts my chin so I am looking him in the eye. "Dani, I will never hurt you. That is a promise, I will always protect you. That's also a promise. I can't change your past, no matter how much I wish I could. But I can make your future. And in this future I will never leave your side. I make it my goal to make you happy forever, and when it comes down to it I will do anything to ensure your safety. I understand you're scared and confused, but I want you to know that. And sometime when you're ready, I want to take you out for a date."

I am stunned by Cole's words. Somehow I know he is telling the truth. I do the only thing that feels right in the moment. I put my arms around his waist and melt into a hug. I know I shouldn't be this close to a male, but Cole is different. He wants to protect me, and he's shown me that on many occasions. I am ready to let Cole in. Somewhere in my heart I know Cole is meant for me, to fix me, make me whole again.

Question of the day:  Do you want me to drop secret hints about the sequel/ending of this book?

FOLLOW

VOTE

SHARE

COMMENT