Prepare For War

Cole growls at my words pulling me impossibly closer. My breathing starts to accelerate. Breathe Dani. Cole whispers in my head. I follow his lead, calming my erratic breaths.

Father speaks again. "Do you recognize me daughter?" "We haven't been apart for that long." How can I ever forget the man of my nightmares? Cole speaks for me, he knows I can't right now. "Why are you here?" "Now, now," Father tsks, "No need to act like that. We can all be civil here." Cole snarls, "If you wanted civil you shouldn't have brought an army of Hunters to my land." Father sets his jaw, "They are simply a precaution, and we all know how you creatures can be." Cole tightens his hold on me. "We are the bad ones? You shot us out of the sky." Father frowns, "You lived didn't you." Snarls and growls can be heard by the pack around us, waiting for their Alpha's signal to attack. No command comes.

"Why are you truly here?" Cole asks instead. "To retrieve my daughter." My legs go weak, why want me now? "She does not want to go with you and she never will!" Cole growls out. "Daniella, Come to your Father." I look at Cole with conflicted eyes but stay put. Father sneers, turning his attention back to Cole. "Ok Alpha, this means war." With that he runs off into the woods leaving us behind, for now. Cole howls his war call.

Cole turns towards the crowd. "All willing wolves over 16 will be in battle. Your Gamma Alec will start war training tomorrow. Everyone watch your back. Keep your mates and children close. Most importantly, keep your Luna safe!" The crowd erupts in shouts of agreement and understanding. I am in shock. These people don't even know me yet they are willing to risk their lives for mine. If this is what family means I think I like it. No, scratch that. I know I like it.

Cole kisses my lips briefly. "Do you want to sit in on your first official meeting as Luna about the war or would you rather spend time with Nona? I understand if you want to be hands off on this one." I look up at him tears in my eyes. Without a moment of hesitation Cole pulls me to his chest. I squeeze the life out of him, reassuring myself that he is really here and that Father has not taken him from me. "Don't let him take me," "Please Cole, do not let him take me." I beg. Cole gently caresses my face before kissing my forehead. "Never baby, you will stay right here with me for the rest of our lives. Neither of us are going anywhere. That's a promise."  I sniffle and nod allowing his words to soothe my troubled mind. "I would like to spend some time with Nona." He nods and releases me. Seconds later I am pulled into Nona's arms.

            "Take deep breaths bambina, everything will be alright; your Alpha will make sure of it." I nod and just allow the old woman to comfort me. Cole walks off with Grandad and Jorden, all three in deep discussion. No doubt about the war with the Hunters.

            "I never knew he was a hunter Nona." Nona pulls my head to her bosom and rocks me back and forth, comforting me as if I were a small child. "You are young bambina. It is ok, you wouldn't have known. Do not feel guilty fore it is not your fault. It never was." I smile and nod. "Come now child, we should go inside the house. It is safer there." I let her drag me back to the house. I guess you can say my mind is numb, a defense mechanism I suspect.

Nona has me settled down in one of the many den type rooms. She has lit the fire and tucked me in on the couch with a blanket and a mug of hot chocolate. "Are innocent people going to die Nona?" I ask. The old women sighs, "Innocent people die in every war Dani. We cannot avoid death." 

"May I go see Cole?" Nona smiles, "Honey this is your house, you do not have to ask." "Ok." We both know I will still ask for somethings, but neither of us mentions it.

Nervously, I climb the stairs. Thoughts are racing through my mind. Mostly just what would happen if Father succeeds?  Now that I know what life is like without him, I don't think I can ever go through it again. 

I am brought out of my thoughts when I collide with another body. "Sorry." I stutter. The man looks at me questioningly. "Luna?" He asks. I nod. "May I escort you to your destination?" I look up at him. He smiles, "My name is Parker. I am the Head Pack Warrior. I am also your personal guard." My eyes widen, "No thank you." Parker frowns, but I keep walking towards Cole's office.

I take a deep breath before knocking on the door. Cole's voice calls for me to come in. Doing so, I see, Jorden, Grandad, Alec, and Cole all hunched over a map on top of Cole's desk. "Hey Dani," Cole smiles when he sees me. Jorden looks up. His eyes briefly meeting mine before smiling. "Where on this map did you used to live?" Alec looks at me. "Can you show us?" My breathing accelerates. Cole glares at his Gamma. Hesitantly, I walk forward towards the map. Alec steps aside allowing me room to see. I stare hard at the map, pretending I understand what it means. Really I am just buying myself time before my secret has to come out.

"Dani?" Cole asks. "OUT!" He suddenly growls. The minute the guys are out the door I am in Cole's arms. "What's wrong?" He asks. I start to tear up, "I c-c-ant d-do i-it." I hiccup. Cole looks down at me, "Can't do what baby?" "I never went to school, I don't know how!" Cole looks at me in disbelief. "But you can write." He states. I nod, "I can read and write some from our nightly routine." Cole pulls me closer, allowing me to feel the steady beat of his heart. I don't think there is anything I love more than being surrounded by Cole's comforting scent all wrapped up in his arms.

"Can we go to sleep?" Cole kisses my forehead and gently squeezes me reassuringly. You can Dani, I still have some things to work out with the guys." I frown but try not to let Cole see it. He's already worrying about the safety of the pack; I don't need to be added to his list of problems. I sniffle slightly, my insecurities coming out. Cole looks down at me with a worried glance. "You sure you're ok Dani?" I nod and smile lightly. "I think I am going to head up to bed, will you come soon?" I have to force myself to walk away; I can tell Cole feels the same way. Instead he just nods, "I'll be up in a little bit."

"I love you." Cole says I walk out of the office. "I love you too." I quietly reply.

Question of the Day: If you have a phone, do you have a iPhone, Samsung, Blackberry, HTC, ext.... I have an HTC.

FOLLOW

VOTE

SHARE

COMMENT