Chapter Thirty Seven ~ Terminal

Start from the beginning

He furrowed his eyebrows, considering his options, but soon his face fell further in defeat. "It's bad. Really bad. The doctors are saying that she doesn't have much time left."

"Kento!" A woman's voice screeched. He winced, glancing over his shoulder toward the door.

"What's her name, again?" I asked, mostly to buy some time to further study Kento before he tried to kick me out. "Your sister's, I mean."

"I--" he glanced over his shoulder again, clearly worried but trying to hide it. "Miyu," he murmured. He was tense, far more tense than when I'd ever seen him and that didn't make sense, because, from what I had gathered, you were supposed to feel relaxed in your own home.

"Kento, get your lazy ass down here!" this time the woman's voice was much louder, and Kento let out a resigned sigh. I tilted my head slightly, watching his reaction closely. I already knew that Kento's father was a smoker and a drunk. His mother, I gathered, was a waitress, earning meager wages and working long hours. Any money earned went toward his sister's medical treatment.

Konoha might cover the expenses of ninja's treatment, but it didn't cover civilians'.

"I have to go sensei," Kento told me, looking away in embarrassment. "My mom probably needs help with the breakfast.

I nodded and left him at that. The most I could do for him was offer my two cents, and he would most certainly be receiving a handful of change from me after today's missions in the form of a lecture. Because If he kept screwing up, actions would have to be taken. I wouldn't risk putting Michiko or Aisa in danger because one genin couldn't get his shit together.

I listened to the clanging of dishes for a moment before leaving, heading toward Tsunade's and knocking impatiently on her door.

"Enter!" Her voice commanded from inside. I stepped inside.

"Here to collect the day's missions for my team," I announced, voice bored.

"Yes, Cashile. I was just about to summon you. We need to discuss..."

I raised my eyebrow. Another solo mission? Finally. I may actually be useful in this one.

"Discuss what?" I asked even though I was certain I knew what she would ask.

"I have a mission for you. A solo mission," she stated, watching me carefully. I gave nothing away and allowed her to continue without disruption. "We've received intel that Orochimaru, a known opponent of the Leaf village, as I'm sure you've heard, has been killed. By Sasuke Uchiha."

Oh.

I'd predicted this would happen. Of course it would. Sasuke had the potential to be... strong. And if he had the potential, the apprentice would always grow stronger and overthrow the master.

"You want me to gather intel," I said.

"It is your specialty," Tsunade replied. "We need to know what Sasuke Uchiha's next move will be now that he's overthrown Orochimaru."

"How do you know he's actually dead?" I asked. "He seemed to be rather obsessed with immortality from what I gathered."

"Well, that's your job to find out, isn't it?" Tsunade replied, challenging.