Chapter 27

His words shocked me and I froze. I started feeling nervous and scared, fear creeping in my head and I started imagining the worst scenarios. I glanced at Kyle, who was a few meters away from me, kneeling down and peeking behind the tree, observing the scene in front of us.

Okay, Alexis, chill. Nothing's going to happen to you, it's probably just a teenage prank, I tried to convince myself. I gathered all my strengths to push the fear out of my mind.

Kyle straightened up and turned around, stepping in front of me. He put his hands on my shoulders as his serious gaze met my scared one. "Okay, here's what we're gonna do," he said in a hush tone, his eyes constantly glancing to the house and then back to me.

"My motorcycle is close to the house. Once we get there without being seen, we can drive away from here safely."

I nodded, trying to keep my mouth shut and not ask him any questions that were running through my mind, because I knew it would only make him even more nervous. One of the questions which bugged me the most was why was his motorbike here, because I knew he was driving the car to the party. I opened my mouth to ask him about that, but quickly closed it when I saw his narrowed eyes, which told me he wasn't in a mood to talk.

He stepped to the side of a tree and signaled me to come to him. I moved my feet, stepped next to him and peeked behind the tree.

At first I didn't see anything extraordinary, only a few cars parked in front of a house. But after observing for a second I realized all the cars were shining black and exactly the same, with a couple of motorcycles surrounding them. It looked like the house was either visited by a president who was extremely guarded, or the house occupied by mobsters.

On this side, near the house stood Kyle's motorbike. I also saw two men dressed only in black, standing in front of the house. It looked like they were guarding it, making sure no one comes inside. The man was quite far from the bike so with a bit of luck we could drive away without any trouble.

"Do you see the bike?" Kyle whispered and I replied with a yes.

"After I give you a signal, that's where you need to run." He turned to me and put his palms on my shoulders. He rubbed his hands on my arms, his touch calming me down.

"You have to run as fast as you can, okay?" He tilted my chin with his finger and forced me to look in his bright eyes, his now soft look reassuring me nothing bad will happen to me. I bit my lip, unsure whether I'll be able to do it.

"You can do it, Angel," he finished rubbing and gave me one last squeeze, before he turned around and started watching the man again. I took a step back and hid behind the shadows, not wanting to feel exposed

After a few seconds, he turned to me, grabbed my hand and intertwined his fingers with mine.

"Now!" He exclaimed quietly and pulled me behind him. Before I even knew what was going on I was already running behind him, my heart beating fast against my chest. I didn't want to turn my head to see if the man in black saw us. I kept my eyes on the motorcycle and exhaled a deep breath I didn't even know I was holding in once we've reached it.

"Hey!" I heard someone behind me shout, but I didn't bother looking. Kyle was already seated on the bike, so I quickly swung my leg over it and wrapped my arms around Kyle's defined hard torso.

He started the engine and the motor roared. In that exact moment I heard a gunshot and my heart almost stopped in fear. I suddenly felt a sharp pain in my upper right arm and gasped as I felt the blood running down my arm. Kyle immediately took off, shouting "hold on!" as he drove away from the scene, and I tightened my grip, afraid of falling down if I didn't.