Chapter 9

I looked at him and scrunching my eyebrows, trying to contemplate what he was saying. Whiskey made me feel light-headed and I was unable to think clearly. Of course, I wasn't so drunk, but I did feel dizzy.

»What do you mean?« I asked him.

He put his hands behind his head and looked at me, smirking. »I can see you hate attention everybody is giving to you. I also know you hate being a cheerleader, and now, thanks to your diary I know you don't love your boyfriend as much as you pretend to.«

My eyes widened as I heard his answer, and my heart beat sped up. I didn't know it was that obvious I hated attention or cheerleading, I tried to cover it up because I didn't want others raising any questions. I also didn't want to be ungrateful. I knew the majority of girls would pay to be in my skin, but I just couldn't help myself. It seemed to me like it was a life my mom had, and tried to re-live it through me. And after she died I couldn't make myself quit everything she loved, everything she wanted me to do. It would feel like betrayal.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I murmured as I looked away from him.

"Oh come on," he said mockingly, without flinching. "I can see through you, Alexis. And you know what I'm saying is true. So answer me."

I turned my head in his direction and faced him. His gaze met mine and I found myself staring in his deep green eyes. I took a deep breath as I closed my eyes. Somehow, probably because of the alcohol and his eyes had on me I decided I could trust him.

"This life I have now was actually my mom's dream. She was the one who wanted that kind of life for me and didn't consider my interests. And now that she's gone, it would feel like betrayal, I guess," I shrugged. I didn't want to meet his eyes, so I kept staring in the wall on the opposite side of the room.

"So you're just going to live your life the way your mom wanted you to until the rest of your life?" he asked in disbelief.

"Well ..." I tried to defy him, but he cut in.

"Bullshit," he said and threw his head back on the pillow, his arms resting behind his head. I narrowed my gaze. "Excuse me?"

"I said bullshit," he said and looked in my direction. "I think that's just an excuse for you, because you're afraid," he emphasized the last word mockingly. "Afraid of changing your life. Afraid of stepping out of your comfort zone."

"So what if I am?" I defied him and crossed my arms over my chest and narrowed my eyes. "What's wrong with being afraid for fucking up your life?"

"Sometimes you need to step out of your comfort zone to find your happiness, Alexis," he said with a smirk and ran a hand through his hair. Then, his smirk turned into a wicked grin.

"And I think I have found a way to."

I moaned and threw my head back in frustration. "Can't you just leave me and my boring and unhappy life alone?"

"No," came his simple reply and I raised my eyebrows.

"And why is that?" I asked him, now interested.

"Because even though you're sarcastic, boring and a good girl, you amuse me. And I, unlike you, like amusement. So either you're going to listen to my preposition or you can start searching for a new bag or whatever is in there you really want."

I stilled when I heard his last comment. He couldn't possibly know about the necklace. So I rolled my eyes and gritted my teeth. "Fine, I'm listening."

"I will give you your bag back after you have done 50 things you never did in your life."

I looked at him wide-eyed.

"What do you mean, 50 things I never did?" I asked him, now getting his point.

"Well, for starters, you have never skipped school, so that can be a starter. Of course, it doesn't count, because the deal hasn't been made by then."

"But I need to have the bag back by January!" I exclaimed. I had to wear the necklace on the anniversary of my mother's death.

"Why, because you need to write your new year's resolutions in your diary?" he mocked me and started making up imaginary text, reciting it in high-pitched girly voice. "Dear diary! This year, I promise to keep up my 4.0 GPA, have straight A's, no detentions and especially never to talk to Kyle Queen ever again, because he actually wanted me to do something exciting in my life!"

I started giggling after his last words and soon, my giggles turned into laugh. I saw Kyle watching me in the corner of my eye. "You look totally different when you laugh," he commented and I turned to him, tilting my head on one side.

"What do you mean?" I asked in between my laughs.

He was quiet for a second, observing me. "You look happy. You should be that more often."

I licked my lips and sucked my bottom lip between my teeth. I didn't know what to say. One part of me was telling me to fight with him and try to get another deal, it was telling me I wouldn't be able to do it, that I should do it the safe way, like I always do.

But that was also my boring part. And, as always when I'm with Kyle, I decided not to listen to it. Instead, I chose the riskier way. I knew I would probably regret it, like every other decision, but I was content with it in that moment, and that should count for something, right?

"So, are you in?" he asked me and our gazes met again. He offered me a hand and I took it.

"I'm in."

******

Hey guys!

I hope you like the chapter! Any ideas for the 50 things she has never done? I have a few, but if you have one, write it in a comment and maybe I'll use your one too!

Vote / comment if you liket the story. Thanks! :D

xoxo

Alexi