Chapter 16

I didn't know what was going on. One minute I'm arguing with Kyle, the other one I'm running out of the store, dressed in clothes I'd just stolen and dozen of bags in my hand with a guy I'd basically just met. I would say that wasn't my usual Monday afternoon.

We exited the store and more alarms went off. The security guard, standing by the door, shouted something to us, but when we didn't stop he started running behind us. People were stepping on the side, creating space which enabled us to run faster through the crowd.

Kyle, still holding my hand, suddenly turned right and pulled me behind him. Me, being clumsy, almost tripped because of his fast movement, but he held me up with his arm, preventing me to fall on my nose. Of course, being the asshole he is, he started laughing.

"You're an asshole, just so you know," I shouted behind him and heard him chuckle because of my comment. I looked back and saw 6 fat security guards running behind us and snorted. It would have been sad if those had caught us.

I didn't know how much adrenaline running away from the cops can cause, but I felt my heart-beat speed up way more than it ever did. And the most interesting part was, that in that moment I realized why people do these kinds of things. The adrenaline pumping in my veins made me feel alive and the feeling could be addictive.

We suddenly came to the door which led to the parking lot. Kyle stopped to open them, but after struggling for 5 seconds, which seemed like a minute, we realized they were locked. "Fuck," hissed Kyle and I became nervous. I looked back and saw the security guards coming closer, each from a different direction. We were trapped.

"What now," I asked him, nervously. His eyes met mine for a second, before moving back to scan the surroundings. I could almost hear how his brains worked, trying to figure out a way to get us out of the situation.

I spotted the security guard on my left, who looked breathless and had hands on his knee. The others were quite far from him and I quickly calculated our chances, before deciding.

"You go right, I go left," I quickly instructed Kyle as I pulled him behind me. We ran separately and caught the security guard off guard. He positioned himself and stretched his arms, which told me he wasn't clever at all. If he was, he would try to catch one of us and hope the other one would try and help him, which could give other cops a chance to get him, and they could catch the both of us. The tactic we learned in martial arts. We've also learned how to get out of a situation like that.

When we ran past him, he figured his tactic wasn't going to work out, so he quickly spun around and caught my wrist. I saw Kyle stop in order to help me, but I didn't need any help. Without hesitation I spun around, put all my weight on the leg which was turned in the opposite direction as a security guard, turned my arm and pulled, hard. It was a trick we learned in classes I took, and now it finally came in handy. The security guard didn't expect that, so he easily let me go, and I ran.

"Come on!" I exclaimed as I passed Kyle. His face, which was the reaction of my quick getaway, was priceless. "And close your mouth, will you?" I laughed.

We ran a couple of meters further, until I saw people open the door to the parking lot. I changed the direction and collided with Kyle's chest.

"Whoa, five minutes you claimed you have a boyfriend and now you're all over me? Classy," he said with a smirk, his arms raised as if he was surrending.

I narrowed my eyes at him as I grabbed him, spun him around and pushed him towards the door. "You picked a nice time to crack jokes, Queen," I hissed as I ran in line with him, "you can tell me the next one in jail, because that's where we're ending if you don't move your ass."