~61~

"I love you."

He had heard right, right? She had actually said it? Finally? He felt frozen. His mind halted his body while it tried to comprehend the three little words that she had just said with her own two lips. He blinked a few times before raising his gaze to meet hers.

Her eyes were teary and she smiled sweetly. "I'm sorry I made you wait so long to hear it," she whispered.

"You never have to apologize," he said softly. "I love you too. I have for a very long time."

"Really?"

"Mm."

"How long," she said with a sly look in her eye.

"Hmm...I'm not sure? But the day you disappeared after your parents' accident was the hardest day of my life. If I had known it would be years before I saw you again, I would have tried harder to get my feelings across."

Hyejin smiled. "Yes, but if you had, your life might have been much different."

"That's probably true," he consented. "However, I'm glad we found each other when we did. You're very important to me and I don't want to lose you again. I'm not letting you get away from me again." He held the side of her face gently, allowing his thumb to trace along the smooth surface of her cheek.

Hyejin relished the feel of his hand on her cheek. Her own hand came up and held the hand on her face. "There's a lot we need to discuss about this. A lot of people's opinions will matter."

"Yeah, I know," he sighed, bringing his hand down, holding onto her's as he rested it on the bed beside her. He massaged her fingers lightly and a frown spread across his face. She had suffered a lot since she came back in contact with him. He would be asking a lot of her to ask her to stay with him through anything else that might be coming their way. His eyes rested on a small cut on her forearm. It made him feel physical pain at the sight of it.

"Babe, what are you thinking about," she said with a smile.

"Us. Fans. What you've just been through." He looked up at her and a tear ran down his cheek. He was incredibly happy to be with her and for them to both finally understand each other's feelings. But how long could this happiness really last? How long before some other insane fan decided to take revenge? How long before Hyejin got tired of the scrutiny and the spotlight?

"I see what you're thinking about," she whispered gently, bringing her other hand over to cover his, "and you need to stop. No one is going to drive me away. No one will scare me away from you. I'm not going to leave you, no matter what."

He watched her smile and her lip split slightly again. He sighed and grabbed a tissue, reaching up and dabbing the small red spot away. "I'm bringing you some chap stick when I come back," he whispered, throwing the tissue away in the small can beside the bed. "You're a mess," he laughed softly.

"But I have you so you'll keep me from completely falling apart, right?" She smiled up at him and his heart did somersaults. He was so in love with this girl.

"Yep. I guess it's my lot in life. My cross to bear." He tried to look annoyed and stared up at the ceiling with a heavy sigh.

"Oh my word," she laughed, whacking his hand with her own. "Stop that nonsense. But you're right. You're stuck with me, hot stuff!" She giggled when he blushed at her nickname for him.