Chapter 39

"Hey, Isaac!" Nathan smiled when Isaac came walking.

"Hey! Nate! Big game today!" Isaac patted Nathan on the shoulder.

Nathan chuckled, and nodded. "Yeah, are you coming?" he asked, and frowned when Issac shook his head. "Why not?" He asked.

"I'm going out of town." He shrugged. "My parents and I are going to New York for... something." He mumbled and looked away. "Sorry." He added.

"It's cool." Nathan shook his head. "I was just hoping you'd be there to see me play. I know you don't like basketball, but it would have been nice to have you there." he gave Isaac's shoulder a pat.

"Aw... you wanted me to come and see you? I thought Jonathan was!" Isaac poked Nathan's chest, laughing.

Nathan rolled his eyes. "He is, but I wanted my best friend to be there too."

Isaac continued to laugh. "Hm, worth a try." he shrugged. "But I kind of have to go now. Good luck in the game." He winked before running off.

Nathan waved at his friend and then went to get his things, and head to the locker room. The coach wanted the team to gather up early and have one last talk before the match. Nathan needed to be early, since he was the captain of the team.

"Hey, Nathan." He heard just as he was about to enter the locker rooms.

He stopped and turned around to look at Wendy. "Wendy, you scared me." He gave a weak smile.

Wendy giggled and walked up to him, running her hands down his chest. "You're funny, Bone." She bit her lip. Nathan took her hand and pushed it away. "Hey, Nathan... I've been thinking a lot." Wendy murmured, ignoring his attempts to push her away. "About you... and us..."

"There's no us." Nathan pushed her away again. "You have Josh, and I have... someone else."

"Josh's not you." Wendy said, running her fingers through his hair. "There's no one I want more than I want you. No one in the world." She gave him and innocent look and leaned forward to kiss him.

"Get off me." Nathan pushed her away again. "I don't want you. You have to understand that." He said calmly, but still firmly.

Wendy snaked her arms around his waist and smirked. "Come on, Bone. Josh is nothing, and I can promise you that your little girlfriend won't ever be as fun as me." She purred.

"Wendy. I don't want you and I never will." Nathan said, a lot less calm.

Wendy's eyes narrowed, and her innocent looked turned into a glare that could almost kill. She let out a frustrated growl and shoved Nathan into the door behind him. She grabbed his shirt and leaned closer. "You will pay for this, Bone." She hissed before pushing him again and angrily stomping away.

Nathan glared after her before going into the locker room to see the coach. The coach had some last minute changes that he wanted Nathan to think of, and review. When the rest of the team came, Nathan couldn't help but notice that Josh wasn't around.

He shot Oliver a questioning look when the coach held his pep-talk, but Oliver just gave a shrug.

"So go out there and get them!" The coach said.

The whole team got up and cheered. "Yes, coach!" They shouted and clapped their hands, jumping around before going out to the gym. Nathan looked over his shoulder just in time to see Josh sneak into the locker room and join the team. He looked very absent. Nathan wanted to stay back and talk to him, but he was shoved out on the court by the team.