Chapter 22

Nathan had almost forgotten about the game, until he got a text from Oliver saying they were on their way. Just as promised, Josh and Oliver showed up just a few moments before the clock turned seven. Nathan said goodbye to Jennie and jumped into Josh's car.

"If you crash on the way there... and we don't die, I am going to kill you." Nathan hissed when Josh pushed his foot harder against the gas pedal.

Josh chuckled, but kept driving without a word. They arrived at the stadium, and got to their seats, first row. "God, Josh... How the hell did you get these tickets?" Nathan asked.

"I've got friends in high places." Josh winked.

"Shush, the game's about to start." Oliver hissed. Nathan and Josh exchanged amused looks, but couldn't help but occasionally tease Oliver.

After the game the trio walked back to the car, chatting about the game, and fought over what team should move up. Josh and Oliver fought the most, as usual. Nathan agreed with Josh, for once. If Josh knew anything, it was basketball.

"Hey, Nate. Tomorrow night. Party at Chuck's place." Josh suddenly said, and Nathan looked at him.

"Sorry, I can't. I'm busy." he shrugged.

Josh sighed. "Come on! It's Friday night! Why?" He complained.

"I'm busy, okay?" Nathan said.

Oliver narrowed his eyes, and gave Nathan a suspicious look. "What are you doing then?" He asked.

Gulping, Nathan shrugged again. "I've... um... got a date." He said, trying to play it cool.

Josh laughed, and slung an arm around Nathan's neck. "Wow, dude! A date! That's a big thing for Nathan Bone! I can't remember the last time you went on a date!" He laughed, and Nathan rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, whatever." He mumbled, getting into the car.

"So." Josh got into the driver's seat. "Is she hot?"

Nathan's cheeks turned red, and his mind bounced to Jonathan. "I'm not telling you guys." He frowned.

Josh chuckled. "Come on, Nate." He complained. "Give me something. Hair color? Redhead? Brunette? Blonde?" He grinned at Nathan, who persistently kept looking away.

"B-Blond." He muttered.

Josh smacked him on the back, laughing. "I knew you had a thing for blondes!" he said.

They gave Nathan a ride back home. Nathan let out a sigh when his friends drove off, and went inside, finding Jennie in her room. "Home already?" She smiled at him.

"It's almost midnight." Nathan pointed out.

Jennie looked down at her watch, and shook her head. "I didn't know it was getting so late." She chuckled. "Have you eaten anything? How about a midnight meal?" She suggested. A while later they both sat down in the kitchen with a snack of their choice.

"Yum." Nathan bit into his sandwich.

Smiling, Jennie eyed him with amused eyes. "So, big night tomorrow." She giggled.

Nathan blushed, chewing on his food. "I guess." He mumbled.

"Have you anything planned?" Jennie asked.

Shrugging, Nathan look down at his food. "I don't really know. I'm going with the basic dinner and a movie." He explained. "You think it's bad?" he asked when Jennie nodded thoughtfully.

"Not at all!" Jennie quickly shook her head. "I think it's sweet. It's a good start." She smiled. "I guess I was just curious." She added innocently.

"I'm... feeling a little tired." Nathan mumbled. "I think I'm gonna head to bed."

He said goodnight to Jennie and retreated to his room. He fell asleep and woke up with butterflies in his stomach the next morning. He ate breakfast with Jennie, and drove to school without picking Jonathan up.

Nathan only caught a glimpse of Jonathan in school. The blond was racing up the stairs, probably late for class. Nathan felt his nerves twitch every time he looked at the clock. He sent Jonathan a text when he was heading back out to his car, after school.

Nathan: Are you still in school?

Jonathan: No, I'm on the bus home.

Nathan: Is it cool if I pick you up around Seven?

He got a 'yes' as an answer, and smiled happily at that. Nathan drove home, stepping through the door just as the clock turned four. Three hours away from the date of his life, he had no idea what to do to kill time, and ended up nervously pacing around the house.

When that didn't work he went through his entire closet trying to pick out something to wear, cursing himself for not being more fashionable.

Eventually he had an outfit he was happy with. It was really just a t-shirt and a blazer, but Nathan liked to believe that it was a very stylish look. He took a shower and got ready, spending a careful amount of time on his hair. He forced a smile when he looked into the mirror. Maybe he did look good, but he was too nervous to know for sure.

"Nathan, sweetheart! Look at you!" Jennie smiled at him when he came down the stairs. "You look wonderful, just one thing." She reached up and soothed her hand over his hair. Nathan let her. "Perfect!" Jennie smiled.

"I really have to go now." Nathan said.

"Of course you do! Have fun, Nathan." She waved at him when he got into his car and drove off.