Chapter 9

Nathan beat himself up for hours for what he'd said to Jonathan. It was stupid of him to do that, and he wished he could go back and take it back, even though he really meant it. He was so caught up by his embarrassment, that he barely noticed that time passed, and it was getting dark out. Around seven, he headed down the stairs and pulled his jacket from the hanger by the door.

"I'm going out. Bye, Jennie!" He called, and said woman appeared in the doorway just moments later, with a smile. She waved at him when he left, and Nathan waved back.

He got into his car, and drove down the street. He'd only been to Wendy's house once, a couple of months back, on some party. The night hadn't ended very well. While Nathan went home fairly early, he'd heard all about how the police had shown up and escorted several drunk kids home.

Nathan sighed when he stood outside the blue front door. Wendy had probably already heard his car on the driveway, and he wasn't very excited to go inside. Most of all, he wanted to go somewhere else, but he had promised her, so he couldn't back out.

"Oh! Hey, Nate!" Wendy smiled when she opened the door, faking a surprised look when she saw him. Nathan wondered why she was even putting on an act, everyone knew what she wanted, and he was there to make sure she understood that he wasn't into her.

"Hi, Wendy." He forced a smile.

Wendy let him in, biting her lip when she closed the door behind him. She had certainly really made an effort. The lights were dim, and on the table there was candles, and she herself was dressed up – or rather down – with a tight, short dress. It was fairly obvious that she wasn't sober, judging on the half empty bottle of whatever spirit she'd been drinking.

"Oh, I was just relaxing a little before you got here." She giggled when she noticed that Nathan was looking at the bottle. "You know, a relaxing Friday night." She chuckled softly. "Want some?" She offered, biting her bottom lip again.

Nathan shook his head. "No thanks." He said. "I... don't really drink." he confessed. Unlike his best friend – Josh – Nathan wasn't a drinker.

Wendy shrugged her shoulders, grabbing a hold of Nathan's hand and pulling him over to the couch. "How about some music?" She suggested, strutting over to the stereo, and turned it on. She shook her hips in time with the music, humming along.

"Feels so good being bad. There's no way I'm turning back. Now the pain is my pleasure." Wendy sang, walking back towards the couch.

Nathan was already uncomfortable standing outside on the porch, this was worse. He wasn't even sure he'd be turned on if he would have been interested in girls, but at the moment he was more creeped out, than turned on.

He scooted further away when Wendy sat down in the couch next to him – way too close for his liking. And when she leaned against him, he leaned away. She pressed her lips to his cheek in a sloppy kiss, and Nathan pushed her away.

"Wendy." he sighed. "Stop that, you're drunk." He told her.

She giggled, placing another kiss on his chin. "I'm not drunk."She whispered, leaning closer to his ear.

Nathan frowned. He wanted to leave. Badly.

When Wendy suddenly slipped off the couch, and placed her hands on his thighs, Nathan had had enough. "Wendy, for God's sake." He pushed her hands away. Wendy smirked.

"What's wrong? Nathan Bone's not up for some fun?" She purred.

Nathan pushed her away again. "No." He said. "No, I'm not." He got up from the couch. "Look, Wendy. You're very pretty, I'll give you that." he started. "But I don't want you like that." He told her firmly.

Wendy seemed to deflate in front of him. "Why not?" She asked, hurt evident in her voice.

The last thing Nathan wanted was to hurt her. "Just because. You're not my type." He said. "Its just... complicated. I'm kind of into someone else." He mumbled. "I... uh..." He looked away. "I have to go." He hurried towards the door.

"Nate!" Wendy called. "Nathan, wait!" She yelled. He didn't reply, nor look back. He needed to leave, asap. "Nathan, look at me!" She shouted at him, and when he didn't reply she let out an angry growl. "Nathan Bone, if you don't stop right now, I'll never speak to you again!" Wendy shouted at the top of her lungs.

Nathan ignored her, and walked out the door, dodging various items she threw his way. When he got into his car and pulled out of Wendy's driveway, she stood on the porch still yelling.

Nathan didn't want to go home. Going back home felt pretty pointless, and his friends wouldn't get over, or even why he denied Wendy Smith anything. He couldn't come up with a single thing to do, so he parked his car and went for a walk. He groaned when it started raining, and retreated to the closest building that was still lit up.

The library was open late, some nights – like it conveniently was that day – stayed open until midnight. Mostly meant for busy college students that needed somewhere to study, but Nathan was happy to get out of the rain.

The librarian – a woman that looked so old Nathan was worried she'd die while he was there – looked up when he came through the heavy doors. "Nathan Bone." She smiled. "What a lovely surprise. How's your father?" She asked.

Since Nathan didn't know her, but she obviously knew his father, he smiled politely. "He's doing just fine, thank you." He replied.

The librarian nodded. "That's good, dear. Do tell me if you need anything, all right?" She asked before going back to the large pile of papers she had in front of her. Nathan nodded to himself before wandering further into the library, maybe to find something to do.