Chapter 6

If you've been waiting for something you really wanted, like a package in the mail, or maybe your birthday, then you know how slow time can go. Painfully slow. So slow that when you sit in class it feels like the time is going backwards. That was exactly how Nathan felt. The lessons were unbearably slow, and even basketball practice – that he loved – seemed to take forever.

After practice Nathan was the first one in the locker room. He was the first one in the shower, and the first one to get dressed and leave. He was so excited to see Jonathan again, that he ran to his locker, but when he turned a corner he ran straight into another student and they both crashed to the floor.

It took Nathan a few seconds to realize what had happened, and when he sat up and looked at the red haired girl he'd tackled to the floor he frowned. "Oh, Wendy!" He said. "I'm sorry, I didn't see you." He helped her get back up on her feet.

She giggled, shaking her head. "It's all right, Nate." She smiled.

"Are you all right?" Nathan asked.

Wendy caught his eyes, smiled, and nodded happily. "I'm fine." She assured. "Actually, I was looking for you." She continued. Nathan nodded impatiently, he could see Jonathan at the end of the corridor, waiting by his locker. "My parents are out of town this weekend..." Wendy whispered, but Nathan wasn't paying her any attention. "And I thought... maybe you'd be up for some fun?"

"Hm? Yeah, sure." Nathan shrugged, still not paying her much attention.

The young girl lit up into a smile, happy that Nathan had so easily agreed. "Oh, great." She smiled. "So... Friday? Tomorrow?" She said.

By then Nathan wasn't even listening to her, and gave an absent nod. "Yeah, sure. See you." He blurted out before leaving her, and making his way to his locker.

Jonathan stood awkwardly by his locker, looking uncomfortable and shy. He barely even noticed when Nathan came walking because he was too busy looking down at the floor to avoid any possible eye contact. He looked so out of place, but Nathan didn't mind at all, he found it oddly charming.

"Hi!" Nathan greeted him, slightly short on the wind.

Jonathan looked up. "Oh... hi." He said with a weak smile. Nathan was quick to get the rest of his things from his locker before closing and locking it, then turning back to Jonathan, who was busy looking out the window.

"Ready to go?" he asked, and without thinking, placed a hand on Jonathan's shoulder. The blond flinched, and Nathan quickly removed his hand. "Sorry..." He gave an apologetic smile.

"W-Whatever." Jonathan mumbled and started walking towards the exit. Nathan followed him.

A few girls called out for Nathan, and waved at him when he walked by, but he didn't bother to reply or look their way, and absently waved back when he passed them. He only had eyes for the blond beauty walking a few feet in front of him. Nathan had to do a double take, had he just mentally called Jonathan blond beauty?

His cell phone buzzed in his pocket, and he pulled it out and checked the message. It was from Oliver.

Oliver: Bro, where did you go? Were your pants on fire or what?

Nathan sighed at that, and quickly came up with a lie.

Nathan: Something came up and I had to hurry up. See you tomorrow.

He pressed send just as Jonathan pushed open the door, and when they got to the car he was happy to see that Jonathan seemed to cheer up as well. Nathan could only smile to himself when he watched Jonathan's whole being seemingly light up with energy.