Chapter 34

When Nathan woke up, he found Jonathan sleeping soundly beside him, arms wrapped around his middle. He was still at Jonathan's house, had they fallen asleep? He shifted where he laid and pulled Jonathan closer, leaning his head against his.

The blond's grip tightened, and Nathan chuckled. "Calm down, you're suffocating me." He gently pried Jonathan's arms away.

Jonathan hummed, giving a confused look. His hair was messy, and he truly looked lika lost puppy. Nathan kissed his cheek. "What time is it?" Jonathan asked.

"I don't know." Nathan stretched.

"Good morning, boys." Maria appeared, fully dressed, int the doorway.

Nathan sat up, trying to straighten his shirt, and help Jonathan up. "I-I'm sorry, I-I must have fallen asleep, and-"

"That's all right, Nathan." Maria chuckled.

Nathan gave a nervous smile and turned to Jonathan that hadn't quite woken up yet. "Wake up, sleepyhead." He smiled and got up from the couch. Jonathan flopped down to lie where Nathan sat, relishing the warmth.

"That boy should really take better care of himself, and go to bed earlier." She shook her head and walked out into the small kitchen. Nathan hesitantly followed her, worried about the awkward silence. Maria started picking among the dishes. "You were right." She suddenly said. "You were right, I was an idiot. Jonathan loves me, and I got angry." She sighed and looked out the window in front of her. "I didn't realize that I could lose him until he left with you. You did me a great favor."

Nathan said nothing, but looked at her. It seemed like she was genuine about it all. Nathan had probably scared her when he came and took Jonathan away. He'd be scared if that happened, too.

"I'm sorry, Nathan. I didn't even give you a proper chance to explain yourselves." Maria turned to him. "Would you ever forgive me?" She asked him.

Nathan tried to process for a moment before smiling and reaching his hand out. "There's nothing to forgive." He said. Maria smiled and took his hand in his, giving it a squeeze. "Do you need help with anything?" Nathan asked when she let him go.

Maria nodded happily, and let him help out with the dishes. Jonathan soon came into the kitchen, yawning. "Good morning." He sat down by the table and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes.

Nathan glanced over his shoulder at him and smiled to himself. "Jonathan, you wouldn't believe what happened yesterday-"

"Nathan!" Jonathan exclaimed, Nathan turned around just in time to catch maria before she fell and hit her head. "Oh my gosh, mom!" Jonathan was out of his seat in seconds.

"Are you all right, Maria?" Nathan asked.

"Mom! Are you okay, mom?" Jonathan asked when his mother coughed.

Maria turned pale quickly, and Jonathan was freaking out. "Jonathan, please calm down." Nathan tried to remain calm. He picked Jonathan's mother up and carried her out to lay her on the couch. "Stay with her, I'm gonna call an ambulance."

The ambulance arrived quickly, Nathan told Jonathan to go with Maria in the ambulance, promising to follow in his car. They rushed to the hospital and Nathan found a very worried Jonathan pacing the corridor.

"They won't let me be with her!" He whined when Nathan came up to him.

Nathan wrapped his arms around him to comfort him. "Don't worry, she'll be fine." He mumbled into Jonathan's ear. "I've got you." Nathan assured, and Jonathan tightened the hug.

"Meade?" A doctor coming out of the next room called. Jonathan ran to him.

"Yes? Is she all right?" he asked.

The doctor nodded. "She's going to be just fine, but we're keeping her for surveillance. At least a week, I'd say. To make sure she recovers all right."

"Can we see her?" Nathan asked, and they were lead into the room where Maria rested on a bed. "Go in, I'm just gonna make a few calls." Nathan patted Jonathan on the shoulder.

Jonathan disappeared into the room and Nathan walked further down the hall and called Jennie. He quickly explained the situation to her, and she told him to be careful before he hung up and went back to Jonathan and Maria.

"She's fine." Jonathan smiled in relief. Nathan couldn't help but relax, hearing that. "Gosh, you scared me." Jonathan said, looking at his mother.

"I'm sorry, Jonathan." She mumbled.

"It's fine." He assured.

"Will you be all right?" Maria asked, and Jonathan nodded.

"I'll be fine, don't you worry about me. I'll be fine, mom." He smiled.

Nathan gave her a comforting smile. "It'd be no trouble to have him stay at my house. Jennie liked him too much to have him live all by himself." He chuckled.

"I know." Maria smiled at them and patted her son on the head. "You're a good boy, Jonathan." She cooed, and Jonathan blushed and pouted childishly. "Aw, come here, my little kitten." Maria pulled him into a hug.

"Mom!" Jonathan gasped, horrified that Nathan had heard that.

Maria let him go and smiled at him again, and then at Nathan. "You two... Don't worry about me now, I'll be up and at it in a week. The doctors said so." She said.

The two boys made sure everything was all right, and set up before they left. "Jonathan, I haven't really gotten the chance to tell you yet, but yesterday I ran into an old friend of mine." Nathan said when they got into the car. "His name's Isaac, he just moved back here from San Francisco, and he's a really close friend of mine and I told him about you."

"You did?" Jonathan looked embarrassed.

Nathan nodded and gave Jonathan's hand a light squeeze. "I did. He really wants to meet you."

"What? W-Why?" Jonathan asked.

Frowning, Nathan looked at him. "Isaac's my best friend. I just don't want him to be left out. He won't judge, or tell anyone. I promise." He said and eyed his boyfriend. "Are you mad?"

"No, If you really want to, then it's okay." Jonathan said.

Nathan lit up into a smile and wrapped an arm around him. "You'll love him, he's a great guy."