Chapter 7

Nathan's dad was home, watching football on the TV, when Nathan got back home. Nathan smiled at him and sat down with him in the living room. "Hi, dad." he said happily.

Aaron tore his eyes off the TV, and looked at his son. "Hello, Nathan." He smiled. "How was school?" He asked.

Smiling, Nathan shrugged his shoulders. "It was good. A little slow, though." He added. "What are you watching?" he asked, looking at the game on the TV. "Who's playing?"

"Oh." Aaron turned back to the TV. "Just yesterday's game. I didn't have time to watch it last night." He explained and leaned back in his armchair.

Nathan nodded. "I did too. M-Miss it, that is." he added.

His father nodded, and the two of them sat there and watched the game together. Nathan didn't care much for football, but all the time he could spend with his dad was appreciated, and he enjoyed his father being around.

Just a few moments before the game was over his father cleared his throat, and looked over at him. "Nathan, may I have a word with you?" Aaron asked.

Nathan turned and smiled at him. "Yes, dad?" He asked, smile widening because of how happy he was to be able to spend time with his way-too-busy father.

"Listen... I know that I haven't been spending as much time with you as we used to..." Aaron murmured. Nathan tried not to get too excited. This was it, he thought. His father was going to do what he'd promised to do for so long. Cut down on work, and stay at home more.

"It's just that work is taking up a lot of my time right now, and as you know, I'm in the middle of closing up a contract with the European company I told you about the other day, remember?" Aaron babbled nervously.

Nathan nodded. "It's all right, dad. I know you're busy with work." He said, acting as if he didn't mind his father's busy schedule. He didn't want to bother his father, didn't want to be something that took up more time, or energy.

"Nathan, listen." His father repeated, looking troubled. "I have to go to Germany for these two coming weeks." He said.

Nathan practically deflated right then and there, slumping deeper into his seat. Whatever hopes he had of his father spending more time with him flew out the window. "I'm sorry, Nathan, but this is really important. I have to close this deal." Aaron said.

Forcing a smile, Nathan nodded stiffly. "It's all right. I know this is important for you." He got out. "I-I'll be in my room." He said and slowly rose from his seat, and walked up the stairs to his bedroom, locking himself inside.

He flopped down on the bed and hid his face in the pillows. He didn't cry or anything like that. He was almost an adult – as his father kept telling him – and they don't cry. A few silent whimpers escaped his lips though, maybe even a sob or two.

Nathan really didn't want to go downstairs and eat dinner. He wanted to stay in his room, and not look his father in the eyes for a while, but he knew he couldn't hide up in his room forever. Before he went downstairs he washed up in the bathroom, and tried to collect himself, trying in his smile in front of the mirror. It wasn't as convincing as he'd want it to be, but it would have to do.

Dinner was quiet and stiff. Jennie was out of town, visiting her sister in New York, so Nathan and Aaron were the only two around the large table. They both weren't very eager on having a conversation. Nathan wasn't hungry, and only pushed his food around on his plate, while his father ate in silence.

Nathan looked up when his father's phone rang. "Aaron Bone speaking." His father answered the phone, and put down the tableware he held. "Yes, I understand." he nodded. "You're right. Thank you, Marcus. I'll be there as soon as I can." he said before hanging up the phone. He sighed, and looked up at Nathan. "I have to go to the office, Nathan." he explained.

"All right." Nathan mumbled and looked back down at his plate.

His father sighed again, and got up from his seat. "I'm sorry, Nathan." He said, brushing his fingers through Nathan's hair as he passed him. Nathan leaned against the touch, not really wanting his father to leave at all.

The table felt even emptier when he was all alone, so he didn't bother finishing his food at all. He threw whatever he had left on the plate in the trash, and left the dishes in the sink, then retreated back to his room.

He felt lonely, being home all alone. It was strange. The most popular boy in school was feeling lonely.

Nathan sat on his bed, leaning against the headboard. "I miss you, mom..." He sighed to himself, looking up through the skylight. The sky had started to turn purple, and it was almost dark out. "I know you're watching over me." he mumbled, looking for the early stars. He spotted one, and smiled tiredly. "I love you too, mom."

Erika Bone had been as close to perfect as one could get. She was not only beautiful, but sweet, caring, and very thoughtful. She was very popular and liked by almost everyone in Fortwhile. She had much to give, and so much circling around her that her death threw everyone off.

She was driving home from work one day when a car coming from the opposite direction swerved into her lane and knocked into hers. Her car got pushed off the road and caught fire, while the other car kept going down the road. The doctors said that she was killed by the impact alone, and was dead before the vehicle caught on fire, but that didn't console her family one bit.

Her funeral was crowded. Nathan was fourteen when she died. Old enough to know what was going on, and he took his mother's death very hard. He didn't cry a lot, but he got drawn back, and pushed most people away. Everyone but his father.

Aaron, on the other hand, pushed everyone away. Even Nathan. When Nathan needed his father the most he got pushed away. The garage – where Aaron kept his fancy cars – was locked down for a little over a year. Instead of staying up late and work on them, Aaron locked them up and rarely – if ever – used them. It wasn't the same when Erika was gone.

Eventually, Aaron remarried. One and a half year after Erika died, he met and married Jennie Andersen.

Though Aaron never spoke of Erika, Nathan knew that he thought of her a lot. Probably a lot more than he'd like to admit, and so did Nathan. He hated that the car accident had split their family up, and he wanted nothing but to fix everything.

He sighed again, and rolled over to lie on his side. "Night, mom..." He mumbled to no one in particular.