Chapter 30

"Dad! Y-You're home!" Nathan shot up from his seat on the bed. Aaron stared at the two boys with wide eyes. Jonathan blushed, standing up and awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

"I... I am." Aaron got out, standing like frozen, not able to find the ability to more or talk properly.

Nathan glanced between his father and his boyfriend. "D-Dad, this is Jonathan." He forced himself to smile.

"H-Hello, Mr. Bone." Jonathan waved awkwardly.

"H-Hi..." Aaron was still trying to process.

"Nathan?" Jennie called from downstairs. Still none of them moved when she came walking up the stairs. "Nathan? I thought I heard- Aaron!" She cheered when she spotted her husband and slung her arms around his neck. "You're back early!"

Aaron nodded stiffly. "Y-Yes." He said.

Jennie gave him an odd look before turning to the two teens and letting out an "Oh" in realization. "Um... I see you've met Jonathan."

"Dad... um..." Nathan gulped. "I need to talk to you."

Aaron nodded, and Jennie let him go. "Um... Jonathan! Why don't you come downstairs for a minute and help me in the kitchen?" She suggested, and Nathan gave her a grateful look. W

"Oh." Jonathan blushed. "Yeah, sure." He nodded. "N-Nice meeting you, Mr. Bone." He said when he passed Aaron in the door, and hurried after Jennie down the stairs.

Aaron watched the two leave and then turned to his son. "Dad." Nathan mumbled. "I-.."

His father shook his head, and stepped into the room, closing the door behind him. "Nathan." He said seriously."

Nathan frowned. "I'm sorry dad! I really didn't want you to find out like this." He said. "I thought you-... Dad, don't be mad." he begged. "Dad?"

"I'm... not." Aaron sighed. "I just... didn't expect..." He left the sentence hanging. "Why-... Since when have you been... you..." He tried to figure out something to say.

"Dating Jonathan?" Nathan tried.

Aaron shook his head. "No, when... um... since when have you been..." he furrowed his eyebrows and cleared his throat. "Um... interested in... in... men?"

Nathan looked away. "I don't really know, since always I guess." He confessed. "I never really... Jonathan's the first guy I-... We've just been going out for a week."

"Jennie knows?" He asked more than stated. Nathan nodded. "And does... anyone else?"

"Not really. I... I'm not really... um... I've just kind of kept it secret. Jonathan doesn't like attention either so we're keeping it on the down low." He mumbled, watching his father's thoughtful look. "Dad." He said after a long time of silence. "W-Why did you come home so early?"

Aaron looked at him properly for what felt like the first time in ages. "I... I wanted to surprise you. You wanted me to come home, right?"

Smiling, Nathan nodded. "Yeah, I-... I've missed you."

"I've missed you too, Nathan." Aaron smiled, and held his arms our. Nathan hurried to give him a big hug, pressing his cheek against Aaron's chest. "It's okay, Nathan." Aaron said soothingly, running his hand over Nathan's hair. "It's okay."

Jennie rose from the table when they came downstairs. "There you are. Are you hungry? How about dinner?"

"T-That sounds great, honey." Aaron nodded.

Jennie blinked her eyes, not sure how to react to her husbands sudden hesitation. Aaron was usually so calm and collected that she barely knew he had it in him to stutter.

The table felt so crowded even though it was far from full. Nathan had gotten so used to eating alone with Jennie that having both Jonathan and his father around felt strange. "So. How was Germany?" Jennie asked while serving her husband.

"It was nice. A little cold, but I liked it." Aaron gave a stiff chuckle. Nathan glanced over at Jonathan who looked nervous. He reached over and gave his hand a gentle squeeze and a reassuring smile. Jonathan smiled back at him, and they both looked up when Aaron cleared his throat. "So, Jonathan. H-How are you?" Aaron asked, looking straight at Jonathan with something that should have been a polite smile. Nathan was happy that his dad tried to get used to Jonathan, even if it was horrible.

"I'm doing good, thank you." Jonathan said. "H-How about yourself? Was the trip all right?" he asked, trying to sound more confident that he really was.

Aaron smiled. "Quite well, thank you, and the trip went very well." He added.

When it got too quiet around the table Nathan quickly piped up and told his father that it was Jennie who'd cooked dinner, and taken care of the house work while Aaron had been away. Aaron was impressed and placed a gentle kiss on his wife's temple.

Jonathan stayed silent most of the time, and Nathan didn't try to include him in the conversations since he clearly didn't feel comfortable. Jennie tried and that was all that was needed.

They finished dinner and Aaron offered to help Jennie clean up, something he'd usually never do, and Jennie happily nodded. The two teens were excused and made their way to Nathan's room, closing the door.

"You look happy." Jonathan pointed out, seeing Nathan's smile.

"Y-Yeah." Nathan smiled at him. "I am." He gave Jonathan a hug.

"What?" Jonathan chuckled.

"I'm just happy. I panicked for a while, but I think dad's gonna be all right. Eventually." He grinned.

"That even makes me feel better." Jonathan smiled tiredly. "I'm feeling a little... tired." He sighed.

Nathan nodded. "Yeah, let's... just head to be."

They got ready for bed. Nathan went into the bathroom to brush his teeth and when he came back Jonathan had changed into a pair of plaid pants and a white t-shirt. They switched places, Jonathan headed into the bathroom and Nathan changed and when they were both done they went to bed.

"Looks like I'm not the only one that's completely out." Jonathan chuckled when he turned of the lights, and walked over to the bed and laid down. "Yeah, I'll sleep really good right here." he yawned.

Nathan got into the bed. "Would you move over a little?" Jonathan sighed and scooted to the left, making room for Nathan. "Thank you, you're such a generous soul." Nathan chuckled. Jonathan smiled at him. "G'night." He murmured when he turned the light in the nightstand off.

Jonathan let out a relieved sigh. "Good night."