Chapter 36

Isaac started the same class as Jonathan, and they became friends quickly. Nathan was glad that they got along, even though he knew that Isaac was a very jealous person he wasn't that worried about it.

The big basketball championship was coming up, and Nathan was busier than ever with basketball practice, strategy meetings, school, extra practice after school, homework, and late strategy meetings.

While juggling everything else, he secretly planned the celebration of his and Jonathan's anniversary. It was only a month, but it felt like a lot longer to Nathan, and he hadn't ever been happier.

He had something in mind, but told Jonathan nothing about the plans. It was to be a surprise.

Jonathan had been feeling down for days. When Nathan was away, or came up with excuses not to be around him it felt as if he didn't have time for him. That, together with his mother's frequent hospital visits made him feel very lonely.

He didn't tell Nathan, and resorted to spending time in the library, or with Isaac, but even though Jonathan thought he hid his feelings well, Nathan saw right through him.

The day before their anniversary Nathan got the news of the two hour long extra practice put in after school. Nathan had to think of a plan B.

He found Isaac as soon as he could. "Isaac, hey!" He called when he spotted Isaac heading down the corridor.

"What's up, Nate?" Isaac smiled happily and waved. "Um... Don't you have basketball practice in like... one minute?" he asked after glancing at the clock on the wall.

Nathan nodded. "Yeah, I'm late and in a hurry, but I really gotta ask you something." he said. "When's your last class tomorrow?" He asked.

Isaac shrugged. "Three."

"So the lesson end around four, right?"

"Why?" Isaac asked, sounding almost hopeful. He shifted nervously when Nathan looked embarrassed.

"Well, tomorrow Jonathan and I celebrate one month." He said, not noticing how Isaac slumped. "But coach put in this really long practice tomorrow afternoon, and I'm gonna be really late. Jonathan hates it when I'm late."

"That's not good." Isaac mumbled.

Nathan shook his head. "I think I can make it. Just... You're in the same class as him, right? Don't tell him anything. It's a surprise."

Isaac chuckled stiffly. "Sure thing, Nate. Hey, what kind of surprise is it? Or do you have to kill me once you've told me?" He asked.

Nathan glanced over his shoulder. "It's just... this thing." He mumbled. "I hope it makes up me being late, oh, and I'm taking him out too. Can't tell you where, it'd ruin the surprise."

Smiling, Isaac nodded. "It's cool. I was just... curious." He sighed. "Well, good luck with that, Nathan." He said before walking off. Nathan waved at him before swirling around and running towards the gym.

Jonathan sighed and stared at the whiteboard where the teacher had sloppily written down the pages they were supposed to read until the next week. He wrote them down in his notebook before sighing and closing the book. His biology teacher walked around in the classroom, stumbling around in her new six inch heels, and preached about the importance of a varied diet.

The bell rang and the teacher looked up with a puzzled expression. She gave the class a smiled before reminding them about their homework and then wish everyone a good weekend.

Jonathan lingered in the classroom, not wanting to get caught in the rush. Also, he was sulking.

It was his and Nathan's one month anniversary, and Nathan hadn't said a thing about it. When they woke up he had just grunted 'morning', and when they ate breakfast together he'd been reading a dumb magazine, and not paid Jonathan any attention at all. He didn't say anything when they went to school, barely even a goodbye when Jonathan had to go to his class.