Chapter 26

The next few days passed almost fluidly. Nathan's thoughts were constantly occupied by flowers, tuxes, and different flavored cakes. He kept telling himself to stop thinking about it, but it was almost impossible to force the thoughts away. He blushed every time he caught himself thinking about it.

"Dude, you okay?" Josh asked when they both sat on the bench during basketball practice. "Coach giving you a hard time?" He joked, elbowing Nathan in the side.

Nathan rolled his eyes. "No, I'm just... thinking." he mumbled and watched his teammates run around the field.

Josh leaned closer. "What was that?" he asked

"Nothing." Nathan shook his head.

The couch allowed them to wrap things up early, and Nathan was still deep in thought when Josh and Oliver pushed him into the locker rooms. He took his time that day, and barely noticed when his phone rang.

"Nate, your phone!" Josh had to remind him.

Nathan looked up, opening his locker and answering his phone, "Hello?"

"Nathan?" Jonathan asked, and Nathan perked up significantly.

"Yeah, hi. What's up?"

"Um... I'm in the library right now and... I was just wondering... if you help me out. You know... history." Jonathan mumbled, chuckling stiffly. "You seem to be pretty good at that." He added, sounding embarrassed.

Nathan smiled. "Yeah, sure. No problem. I'll be there in ten minutes. Okay?" He said.

"All right. I'll wait here. Thanks, Nathan." Jonathan said.

Nathan smiled to himself, and said a quick goodbye and hung up the phone. Josh came walking, opening his locker next to Nathan's. "Who was it?" He asked.

"No one." Nathan shrugged his shoulders, shed his clothes and went to take a shower, he finished in record time and grabbed his things before heading to the library.

Jonathan sat in the back, by one of the tables behind the bookshelves. Nathan went up to him and plopped down in the seat on the other side of the table. "Hi." he said.

Jonathan smiled. "Hi."

"I heard I was needed." Nathan leaned his elbows against the table.

Blushing, Jonathan nodded down towards his books. "Um... yeah. You were good at explaining the last time. So I figured... that maybe you could help me out?" He mumbled, looking down at the papers strewn across the table.

Nathan chuckled, and switched to the chair next to Jonathan. "Anything for you." He smiled.

Jonathan blushed even more. "I don't get anything of this."" He said. "Why did they do all of those things? Why didn't they talk like planned? And who is that guy?" He asked, pointing at a picture of an old man in odd clothes.

Nathan laughed silently. "You're too much fun." He shook his head.

"I don't think it's fun when I don't get it." He muttered.

"It's okay. I'll explain it to you." Nathan smiled.

He started explaining things, and they discussed Jonathan's questions for a while. Jonathan slowly but steadily started to cheer up. Nathan changed tactics, only giving Jonathan questions to answer. To Jonathan's surprise, he had no trouble answering any of the questions.

"I think I understand. I can't believe it. I actually get it." he shook his head.

Nathan chuckled. "Told you it wasn't that hard."

"That's just 'cause you explained it so well. You're a good teacher, you should charge to teach people." Jonathan smiled. "Thanks, Nathan."

"You're welcome, but I don't think so. I'm not gonna spend my time doing other people's homework, you being the only exception."

Jonathan blushed, and averted his yes. "T-Thanks for that." He mumbled, looking back at Nathan.

"Don't give me that look. I really don't mind. I like spending time with you." He put an arm around Jonathan, chuckling. "Need a ride home?" He offered.

"Sure." Jonathan nodded, and gathered his things. They walked to the car together, not holding hands or anything, just almost. They didn't want or need more attention than they already had, walking together.

They drove around for a while, but Jonathan dosed off and on in the passenger seat. Nathan noticed that, and smiled to himself and took it easy when he turned and pulled up on Jonathan's driveway. Nathan turned the car off and smiled over at the blond.

"Thanks for the ride." Jonathan yawned.

Nathan chuckled. "You're welcome. You should go and get some real sleep though. I don't think my car's the best place to get your beauty sleep." Jonathan gave a nod and a smile, and got out of the car, waving happily before going inside.

The next day Nathan took the bus with Jonathan. His disguise worked as well as ever. He ate lunch with Jonathan in the library, even if his friends were looking for him. Nathan didn't care, and he wasn't worried that they'd find him since he had worked on fitting in so well.

"What did Jennie say when you told her?" Jonathan asked, taking a big bite out of his sandwich.

Nathan shrugged. "She didn't mind. She's fine with whatever, really." He said. "She likes you. She thinks you're different from my friends."

Jonathan smiled. "Oh." He chewed on his food.

"What did your mom say?" Nathan asked.

Jonathan stopped chewing for a moment and looked down at the table. "I... haven't told her yet." He said without looking up.

Nathan couldn't help but frown. "Oh, all right." He said.

"I'm gonna talk to her today." Jonathan frowned, putting his food down.

"Don't push yourself. If you don't want to tell her-" Nathan began.

"I'll talk to her." Jonathan promised.

The two boys finished lunch, and then they split up again to got to their classes. They met up again after school to take the bus home. They got seats and Jonathan sat with his head leaned against Nathan's shoulder.

When they got back to Jonathan's place Nathan gave Jonathan a big hug before jumping into his car and driving home.

He found a note from Jennie on the fridge when he got home. I have to go back to work, I'll be late. There's some leftovers in the fridge. Take care. Nathan rolled his eyes and opened the fridge. He wasn't hungry, but checked if there really was food as promised.

Nathan was just about to go upstairs when his phone rang, and he answered while skipping up the stairs. "Jonathan, hi!" He smiled. There was a loud noise in the background. "Hello?"

"Are you talking to him now? Put that phone away, young man. I don't want you talking to him!" He heard Maria shout.

"Jonathan?" Nathan asked again. "What's going on?"

"Jonathan! I told you to hang up! Stop talking to him!"

"Nathan, I'm really sorry. I didn't know what to do." Jonathan whined into the phone.

"JONATHAN! Hang up the phone!" Maria yelled.

"Wait, Jonathan are-"

Nathan was interrupted by the dial tone. Glaring at the phone he shoved it back into his pocket and stormed out of the house and got into the car. He was so angry when he got out of his car on Jonathan's driveway, and walked up to the door. He heard the shouting and yelling from inside the house and glass shattering. Frowning, he took a deep breath before opening the door and going inside.